Lake or Pond?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lake or Pond?

Post by maverick »

What are the distinguishing differences between the two, without looking it up, choose which is the correct answer from below? :)

a. size, color, vegetation

b. depth, vegetation, fish

c. wave size, depth, temp uniformity

d. outlet flow rate, inlet size, depth

e. clarity, depth, outlet flow rate
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Lake or Pond?

Post by markskor »

f. spelling?
Mountainman who swims with trout
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Well, the Brits say a pond is that thing between us and them. I think they're both just oversized tarns. ;)
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I'll guess B
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

There is not a universally accepted definition for a pond versus a lake. That is why many become confused in differentiating the two and even on USGS maps the designation is inconsistent.

The best I can do as a mountain enthusiast, more focused as to how it might apply in the Sierra Nevada would be to say a pond versus a lake is:

A more often small body of water though there is an overlap between small lakes and large ponds.

A shallow body of water below human head height usually even in deepest areas while lakes are deeper.

A body of water that may be ephemeral especially in dry years while Sierra lakes just shrink.

Both lakes and ponds may have variable clarity, murkiness, and vegetation that will vary with time of year though lakes are more likely to have better clarity.

Summer ponds in the Sierra are common in heavy forest flats above the mean winter snow level and also in higher elevation level bedrock areas.

In winter ponds are more likely to fully freeze.

Both ponds and lakes may have trout though ponds are much less likely to have acceptable oxygenation for trout unless ponds have permanent inlet stream flows.

Conversely ponds are more likely to have vegetation and less chilly summer temperatures thus more likely to have invertebrates and amphibians across their full area.

David prefers taking a fresh daily dip in less chilly ponds than lakes.

David prefers taking water reflection photographs in ponds versus lakes because they are more likely to have above water features, far side features are at more recognizable scales, and water waves dampen far more quickly allowing more perfect mirror reflections.
Last edited by SSSdave on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I agree with mark! None of the above!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I'll say a
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I'll guess b. I think it has to do with ponds being shallow enough to support underwater plant life. Which is why I think of ponds as green and lakes as blue.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I'd love it to be as simple as: a pond you can wade, a lake you can't.

But Walden was a pond...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

kpeter wrote:I'll guess b. I think it has to do with ponds being shallow enough to support underwater plant life. Which is why I think of ponds as green and lakes as blue.

Yes ponds are more often green than blue but I bet you've passed by a few ponds that were not green. Like those by August inky black forest ponds with decaying vegetation. Or perfectly clear shallow timberline ponds draining snowy slopes like below Abbot and Gabb. Such high elevation ponds or tarns are just as likely to be sterile and barren as nearby deeper larger lakes because the ice free period is short.