Untreated, unfiltered water — and it is so popular

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Untreated, unfiltered water — and it is so popular

Post by AlmostThere »

creekfeet wrote: But for those people in the Bay, if Hetch Hetchy has to remain dammed, you might as well take advantage of having that pristine Sierra water piped in.
SF treats that water from Hetch Hetchy as most municipalities do. UV and chemicals, before distribution to your tap. Not "pristine"
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Lumbergh21 wrote:For everybody who wails about the dangers of chlorine (and just about any other treatment that has been demonstrated to work through scientific study), how would you like to measure the healthfullness of your water based on the cholera death rate? Going back 100 years, water was considered above average in California if the Cholera death rate was less than 3 per 10,000 people. When's the last time anyone died from Cholera in the US?
“Sodium hypochlorite has saved more lives than any other substance made by man.”

Dr. Abel Wolman, former president of the American Health Association, on the active ingredient in bleach.

:D :D :D

JMHO,

-Russ

PS: I drink lots of unfiltered water at elevation.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

That's pretty funny, selling "raw" water. Reminds me of Proverbs 21:20, "A fool and his money are soon parted." I work in the water industry, and this does not seem like such a good idea!
I am kind of in the middle on this topic as it relates to the High Sierra. I got giardia once, from the Domelands Wilderness, which is a lower elevation area south of the Golden Trout Wilderness, not really the High Sierra. But it was due to my lack of diligence and commonsense; I should have filtered the water, it seems very obvious now, I was careless. On the other hand, a rushing mountain stream that is being naturally filtered by the rocks and a streambed, especially if you are not downstream from a heavily used lake, why would you filter that water. It is already being filtered, but you have to use common sense. If I have any doubts, I filter, otherwise I do other things that are much more fun.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

The thing is, this Raw Water is also vegan, and I am really trying to do the right things for myself and mother gaia.

...uh, the good raw water, that is. :drinkers:
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Scouter9 wrote:The thing is, this Raw Water is also vegan, and I am really trying to do the right things for myself and mother gaia.

...uh, the good raw water, that is. :drinkers:
If you really want to be a healthy, responsible being, you only drink the vegan, paleo, non-GMO raw water. Though, I suppose the raw water substitute made from coconut milk is acceptable.