Must Do "A" List

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Must Do "A" List

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Some maps list the peak to the south as Polemonium, which I think is an error. I have actually climbed that peak. It had a mason jar with a register that stated it was not Polemonium. The issue with the real "Polemonium" is if it is an actual peak or just a subsidary spire on a ridge. Last I heard, it was considered a peak, but there has been disagreement over this.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Have you climbed the other 14er north of NP, Thunderbolt Peak WD?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

"A" list:
Lake Reflection, Longley Pass, Brewer Basin, Sphinx Basin
Vee Lake and Bear Lakes Basin
Mills Creek Lakes (will do on way to 2018 meet-up)
Tehipite
Monarch/Cirque Divides - although I'm totally unclear regarding my priorities there. More than one visit.
Deadman Canyon when it's green (have only been in Sept.) together with Glacier Ridge and the upper Cloud Canyon
Sierra High Route from Tioga Pass to Twin Lakes
The large, disappearing glaciers, such as Lyell Glacier

"B" list: (N to S)
N section of the Tahoe Rim Trail
Blue Canyon (the one near Sonora Pass)
The dead-center of Emigrant Wilderness (Emigrant Lake, etc.)
North Dome, or thereabouts
Clouds Rest
Rushing waters of the Merced between Little Yosemite Valley & Merced Lake
Kuna Ridge
Red Peak Pass area
Davis (& Marie) Lakes during the paintbrush bloom
Up behind Convict Lake
NW side of the Silver Divide (Peter Pande Lake, etc.)
Some lake basins to the E and W of Selden Pass
Some lakes along the N side of the Glacier Divide
Ladder Lake
Ampitheater Lake
West side of the White Divide: Blackcap Basin, etc. (never been anywhere in there)
Tunemah Lake
Williamson Bowl
Red Spur basin
South over Farewell Gap

Ranking above anything on my "B" list would be a second visit to about 6-8 special places that I feel I MUST return to: Palisade Glacier; the Upper Kern which I explored way too little; etc.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Mav- yes I have done Thunderbolt- all the way to the top of the pinnacle. Also did Starlight to the top of the pinnacle. I did those trips with RJ and others. I was the only "purist" so I had to do the lead to the top of the pinnacles. Did North Pal via LeConte Route on the west side. Did the 5.7 technical climb on SIll. For about 10 years I did a lot of Alpine rock climbing in the Sierra, just never got around to Russell and Polemonium. Nowadays, Muir I could do myself, if I had to. But I am way too long out of climbing to do the other two without some help.
bandguy5686
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bandguy5686 »

Still want to do my trip in Slide Canyon/Rock Island Lake/Doe Lake, etc. May have to wait til I retire, but soon I'm GOING! Also never been to Granite Park; I'd like to do that and go into 2nd Recess...maybe over to Pioneer Basin too. So much good country! :nod:
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

RichardCullip wrote:One of these years, before I don't wake up still not dead one morning, I'd love to make the classic Sierra transverse - the High Sierra Trail. Would also love to hike the Kern from the headwaters down to Kern Lake and points south.
I started on the High Sierra Trail then headed up the Kern as far as Lake South America before looping back in 2016. I can't really put into words the way I felt while hiking in the headwaters area of the Kern. It was awesome, magical, stunning, calming, and so much more. I plan to get back some year, but there are so many other places that I still want to see. It's hard to know where to go in my limited time each summer.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

My list grows longer every year. The current top 3 would probably be Granite Park, Humphreys Basin, and McGee Lakes. I plan to finally get to Granite Park this coming summer as part of a 13 day trek that will also include some form of the Minaret loop and Seven Gables Lake basin including Vee Lake. I'd also like to do some exploring in Yosemite, maybe 2019, as well as the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho, Glacier National Park, Goat Rocks in Washington, and on and on. Maybe one day. At least I have a chance to finish hiking everything I want to in the Trinities by the end of this year, but then there's the Marble Mountains. When will it ever end?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Wandering Daisy wrote:None a "must-do", but a "nice-to-do".

I would love to finish my "14ers", but doubt I will. I have three left. Muir, Russell, unnamed 14er between North Palisade and Sill (not even sure it is still considered a 14er). Not willing to do those solo.

Tehipite Valley and descending the MF Kings from the JMT to Tehiptie

Lots of small nooks and crannies and places I have already been. Too numerous to name.
Am going through Tehipite with one or two others this year, as a part of the effort to get the TST scouted for trail crews. PM if you want to join - we are taking a week and going out Granite Pass, to be picked up at Roads End, with a layover day for fishing and exploring in Tehipite proper.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Don't do bucket lists. This year I have a series of weekends to do with the hiking groups, and the long trips are all on the Theodore Solomons Trail, scouting and documenting issues. I have a group heading to Lost Coast in May if the weather cooperates. Next year, I will be in Jarbidge for a week, and will be scouting the northern end of the TST. There will be a lot of weekends with trail crew and a saw.

That's as far out as plans go. The only nebulous thing is the Wonderland Trail - it'll get done some year. Maybe in 2020.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

While we are talking A list, I have a question, please.
Since I will not leave my dogs behind, Yosemite wilderness and Seki Wilderness are, sadly, the forbidden land for me. While I have been backpacking for decades, I do not trust my cross country navigation skills, so I stick with trails.
That said, am I really missing out on the best of the Sierra?
My A list: Any Sierra traverse and Kings Canyon wilderness. My daughter says that I am obsessed just because I cannot go.
My question: Am I really missing out?