SHR (Ropers)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: SHR (Ropers)

Post by longri »

Wandering Daisy wrote:You have other options between Roads End and Mammoth Lakes (Devils Postpile)... No need to feel you have to go from Road's End to Devils Postpile/Mammoth in one stretch.
It wasn't a need, it was a desire. I didn't want to hike out, hitchhike, or take a bus or whatever. I thought it would break the spell, the illusion of immersion in the wilderness. I wanted to do the route without interruption. I figured the noise of Red's Meadow, Tuolumne Meadows, and the busy sections of the JMT would be distraction enough.

I don't disagree with any of what you've said about resupply options. I know they are there. I'm not convinced that what I did was the best idea, it's just what I thought made sense at the time.

There are lots of ways to go.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just want to point out to those who are not fast, that the route is still feasible for them if they just resupply more often. I certainly understand the desire to imerse yourself in the mountains without the jarring break back to civilization to resupply. It was great that you were able to do that. I hope I did not sound argumentative. If so, I am sorry.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

No reason to apologize, Daisy. If we were arguing I was unaware of it.

I suspect most people trying to do the whole thing exit for resupply. You don't even have to go into town if you leave a cache at a trailhead or nearby.