Taboose Pass Trail Dayhike - April 28th

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
KathyW

Taboose Pass Trail Dayhike - April 28th

Post by KathyW »

I day hiked up to Taboose Pass yesterday. It was a beautiful day out there - not too hot or too cold. The stream crossings were easy (much lower than the first weekend in July last year). There was patchy snow above 9,500 feet, but most of the trail was visible until the last mile before the pass and then it was soft and not too deep; so easy to traverse. I must have accidently deleted my pictures because when I got home they weren't on the memory card, but I'll get to replace them next weekend when we head up to give Cardinal a try.

Anyone else interested in a weekend backpacking trip to Taboose Pass/Cardinal Mountain next weekend?
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

You dayhiked all the way to the pass and back from the trailhead? Wow, that's quite an early season hike!
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

When I started out I didn't expect to get all the way to Taboose Pass because I thought the snow or high creek crossings would slow me down or turn me around, but there was so little snow it was more like an early summer hike and I kept going. My axe and crampons stayed on my back all day. It might snow this week and the temperatures are supposed to be cold next weekend, so it will be a lot tougher going next weekend with a heavy backpack full of winter gear on my back.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Anyone else interested in a weekend backpacking trip to Taboose Pass/Cardinal Mountain next weekend?
Will someone carry me???!!! :p

Glad you had a great time. Sorry about you pictures.
KathyW

Pictures

Post by KathyW »

Mike: Unfortunately I can't carry you, but I did recover my photos; so I can share them. Here are pictures from my hike to Taboose Pass:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/2782598#148464435
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Kathy-
Nice excursion! We were down way south doing Haiwee Pass to Round Mtn and back. Beautiful day, although I'll bet just a bit warmer than where you were!
Great shots as usual. Thanks for the look at the conditions, haven't been that far north yet this season.
Gotta work Saturday, but interested in hearing about how Cardinal goes. Good luck and have fun.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Sooz: I'm looking forward to the pictures from your trip to Round Mtn - I've always been curious about that area.

The forecast looks like it will be really cold this weekend (5 degrees at night at 10,000 feet), so I'm probably going to wait for a little warmer weather to head back up Taboose Pass again - my coldest sleeping bag is a 10 degree bag.