How Old?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: How Old?

Post by maverick »

Just curious. Do you actually ask someone how old they are? Or do people really volunteer such information?
Personally, have not, and would not ask a stranger their age, they usually volunteer it during our discussions. Some folks are sensitive about their age, which I respect.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

IIRC, my Dad was 80 during his last successful overnight trip.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Steve T and everyone else: 84 over Junction Pass is definitely incredible. I still cringe at the thought of what I felt like on my only time on that route, so yes, these and similar reports are definitely inspiring. Maybe HST can sponsor an octogenarians bragging zone? Cameron
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

My uncle did his last backpacking trip at age 87, and his last rappelling in the Canyonlands area of Utah (annual trip for him) at age 88. He used to climb Mount Hoffman (Yosemite) every year in July, for his birthday. I think his last Hoffman ascent was at age 86 or 87.

Now at 90, he is still doing 6-8 mile hikes in the Bay Area. He headed up to Kaiser Pass area for some day hikes this past summer.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by mckee80 »

I met a 79 year old guy staying at Garnet Lake with his two kids and grandson. He had an artificial hip and an artificial shoulder. I sure hope I can get around like that in 30 years!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Back around 1985, I met Hulda Crooks, a.k.a. Grandma Whitney. She and her family were going up the Mount Whitney Trail to the summit. She was 89 years old at the time, and that was her 22nd time to bag the summit. Her family was carrying all of the heavy stuff, naturally. She passed away when she was in her nineties, and Crooks Peak was named for her (very near Whitney).

Geez, when I get to be 89, I will be happy if I am just breathing, much less going up Whitney.