Signs Missing on the High Passes?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sierra cyd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by sierra cyd »

Bummer about the Williamson register.

I personally really enjoy finding, reading, and signing registers. I'm dismayed to hear that they've been going missing. I usually don't get up on anything with a register that goes back more than a decade or so, but still!

Anyway, it sounds like there are two different things going on here:
1. Removal of the entire register, i.e. can/box and contents;
2. Removal of only the contents of the register.

The folks that are doing #1 are presumably a minority of people who dislike the existence of registers or something. This is a real bummer for the rest of us. If only they'd go looking for all those deflated balloons and other litter scraps, we'd be much better off.

The folks doing #2, I'm not sure about. Maybe they are taking the contents out of full registers thinking they'll send them in and preserve them. To where, I'm not sure, but they have to be emptied at some point, don't they? Who maintains them? I imagine the most popular ones get full pretty quick.