2018 Hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

2018 Hike

Post by robow8 »

For next year's hike, I am hoping on a leisurely stroll to see Ediza, Garnett, and 1000 Island lakes. We will have 5 or 6 days for this trip, which should leave us with time to explore/sightsee/fish. I say we as my wife will be with me, and we may have an out of state couple with us. I want to keep daily miles low; 6 miles or so. And I am not stuck to a certain route or trail, though we do want to stay on trail. My friend is a school teacher, so it will probably have to be late July/August.
So what are your suggestions for routing, taking into consideration the low daily mileage and camping along the way, and which month would be better to go?
Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2018 Hike

Post by maverick »

Would recommend staying at Ediza the first few nights, it is just over 7 miles, but well worth the effort. Stay there 2-3 nights, do some day hikes to Iceberg Lake, the area beneath Mt. Ritter, and Nydiver Lakes. Then consider hiking up the JMT to Garnet Lake and spending a night there, if you want to make it a little more adventurous, hike to the western end of Garnet, to the cluster of lakes to camp, beautiful area, and then hike over Garnet Pass (class 1) to the western end of 1000 Is Lake the next day, if your lucky, there will be gardens of Indian Paintbrush in that area, stay there a night or two, and then hike back to Agnew via the beautiful High Trail, great scenery and wildflowers, and better to descend then to ascend this trail.

Whether you decide to go July or August, mosquitoes will be a serious annoyance, though later in August, depending of the winter snow, could be better, plan accordingly.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

Thanks Mav. Some follow up questions. Are there use trails to Iceberg and Nydiver? In the videos I've seen, it seems to always be windy, especially at 1000 Island. Is that true of the whole area? I assume permits are through Inyo. How do I go about getting them?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that should give me enough to study for right now!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Are there use trails to Iceberg and Nydiver? In the videos I've seen, it seems to always be windy, especially at 1000 Island. Is that true of the whole area? I assume permits are through Inyo. How do I go about getting them?
There is a trail to Iceberg Lake, and a use trail to the area beneath Ritter, from there you head up to the obvious ridge separating it from Nydiver Lakes.

Winds can happen any time, especially around/over larger lakes, but they usually subside at dawn and dusk.

Go to Rec.gov, locate Inyo National Forest Wilderness Permits, Shadow Creek AA07, check date availablities, and make reservations, 6 months prior to your start date, and do not procrastinate, they will get swooped up the same day they become available, this area is extremely popular.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Also note that you could do Maverick's suggested route in reverse if the permits are gone for the clockwise direction, using either the River Trail (easier) or PCT/High Trail quotas.
-Phil