Sleeping Bag Degree Rating for JMT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dharter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sleeping Bag Degree Rating for JMT

Post by dharter »

We are hiking the JMT from August 22 to September 13. Thinking that a bag with a 20 degree rating should be sufficient. Would be interested in feedback from anyone with experience in the Sierra's regarding that choice.

Thanks.
Doug
Doug
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Yes. I take a 35 degree bag which can be cool at 30 or lower, a little disappointed in my WM Caribou bag, not a conservative rating like they have a rep of having. By the end of your trip it may be needed. Some storms can come thru mid Sept. and dump some snow then turn warm again in a day or two. Wait a minute, it freezes in July too at elevation. If your bag is down, it will adjust to the temps if you don't know that already. Have a good time out here.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

My bag was 15 or 20 deg, and we were out Aug/Sep 2001

There's a JMT section on my website http://www.snow-nymph.com (click on JMT left side)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EricJLee
Founding Member

Post by EricJLee »

Agree, I used a 20 on the earlier end of the season(first 2 weeks July), got snowed and hailed on a few times, but that bag temp was just right. In September snow isn't unheard of, so having that extra insulation is nice.
Eric
TwoFortyJeff
Topix Acquainted

Post by TwoFortyJeff »

I'll be bringing a 15 degree. My 20 degree wasn't enough even at 9000ft last June-July.
I'm a very cold sleeper though. I'm planning on a most nights in the low 30s to upper 20s.
cherron
Topix Acquainted

Post by cherron »

I would recommend something in the range of 15-20 degrees. Two years ago during that time it was chilly almost every night along the JMT and there were a couple of nights I would have liked a warmer bag than what I brought. Usually, I get by with an older 20 degree bag, which has lost some loft. The lower angle of the sun the shorter daylight hours can make it a chilly that time of year.

I usually take Sierra trips during that time of year and have had a mixed bag of weather, everything from occaisional snow storm, to freezing rain, to sunny and warm.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I use a 20 degree bag and have gotten along fine. Other considerations are your sleeping pad and what type of clothes you sleep in. I use a Prolite 4 pad and I generlly sleep in my clothes ( nylon pants, tee shirt and fleece jacket). Oh yeah, I wear a stocking cap too. And...I use a double wall tent.
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted

Post by Aviprk »

I can get along well even in the mid 20's with a 30F bag and my trusty patagonia micropuff though it can sometimes be marginal and my legs can feel cold if I wear shorts. When I was up in Mineral King 2 years ago in September, night time temps reached 28 in the Cold Springs campground. I would imagine it must have been in the teens above 10,000 that same night. Yikes!