TR - Humphreys Basin 7/16 - 7/19

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fox212
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR - Humphreys Basin 7/16 - 7/19

Post by fox212 »

As promised..and a bit overdue!

A few buddies and I decided to hike across Humphreys Basin back in July, from the Pine Creek Pass TH to the North Lake TH. Two coworkers, G and E, are relatively new to backpacking but pretty outdoorsy and in good shape. My long time hiking buddy, B, also joined us.

My total pack weight at the start of the trip was about 22lbs - B's was the lowest at a clean 20lbs. :thumbsup:

The hike was a blast. Lots of navigational challenges due to the large amount of snow remaining and rapidly melting! But everyone in the crew handled it like champs, and were rewarded with an excellent backpacking experience that will be fondly remembered. The answer to a 2nd annual trip was a resounding "yes!" so mission accomplished! \:D/

Night 0 - Car Camp at North Lake campground

Very nice campground with only a dozen or so sites. We lucked out getting a nice one right by the creek. B drove his new Mercedes Sprinter DIY-sportsmobile-trailhead-attack-vehicle for us to hang out in and oogle at. Still a work in progress, but a VERY cool rig.

Campsite and B's Van

Yes, butcher block counter tops in a camper van. Fancy. :)

Nice creek along our campsite.

Day 1 - Pine Creek Pass TH to Pine Lake

After a late start and a long midday siesta to nurse a couple of hangovers due to night 0 overindulgence :p we made it to the last creek crossing before Pine Lake. The crossing looked pretty sketchy so we elected to make camp and reassess in the morning.

LOTS of water!

How hungover? This hungover. Lol.

Ragin' Pine Creek

Day 2 - Pine Lake to Moon Lake

By day 2, everyone was feeling pretty normal again. Time to reassess crossing Pine Creek. Still a "nope" - waist high, fast moving, really cold water, big rocks. Too risky. After a brief investigation we found a route up and around the other (south) side of the lake. Really not sketchy at all unless you're prone to vertigo.

Route around south side of Pine Lake

We continued on to Upper Pine Lake, and were greeted with...more water where the trail is supposed to be! :rolleyes: Upper Pine Lake is beautiful, and we stopped for a few minutes to grab a snack and bask in the awesomeness.

Upper Pine Lake - very scenic!

The "trail."

Onward a couple more miles, through a couple more creeks, over several snowfields, and we were at Pine Creek Pass. A beautiful entrance into northern Humphreys Basin. We made it through French Canyon and up onto the plateau near Moon and Elba Lakes, where we called it a day and set up camp.

On the ascent to Pine Creek Pass

Getting closer...

On Top of Pine Creek Pass

Looking down Beautiful French Canyon

Campsite night 2

Day 3 - Moon Lake to Puite Pass

Awoke early on day 3 ready to tackle Carol Col (AKA Puppet Pass) and Piute Pass. Carol Col was...exciting! I found the little ledge that you can pretty much walk up to the top, while B, G, and E decided to rock hop all the way up. I won. \:D/

Leaving Moon and Elba Lakes

On the way up Carol Col

Flower on The Ledge

On top of Carol Col, looking North

Looking South

Mt. Humphreys

Meandering through the southern side of the basin toward Piute Pass

Ascending Piute Pass

Descending Piute Pass

Campsite night 3 (just below Piute Pass)

Soaking up the evening view

Day 4 - Piute Pass Back to the Car

After a leisurely morning, it was a pretty quick and mostly downhill hike back to the North Lake campgrounds and our car. Spirits were high on the hike out, and planning for the 2nd annual trip commenced immediately. :) After some delicious BBQ and brews in Bishop, it was time to saddle up make the 5+ hour voyage back home.

Room with a view

Lake after stunning lake!

Descending Piute Pass Trail

All in all, one of my favorite trips so far!
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: TR - Humphreys Basin 7/16 - 7/19

Post by rlown »

Nice TR (they are never too late.) :) Looked cold. I'm trying to plan an ice-out trip for 2018. Have to wait a bit to see if La Niña happens this year.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for coming back and writing up this wonderful first TR, with wonderful pic's. :nod:
Nice camper van. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fox212
Topix Novice

Post by fox212 »

Really not too cold actually. Daytime temps in the high 60s/low 70s; lowest nighttime temp 33 (verified).

Yea, it's a pretty sweet van. NOT cheap, but that dude spends almost every weekend of the year in it with his family. Excellent investment IMO!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

fox,
Super TR, and man that photo of siesta time left me wondering how much further into the woods you were going to get. You can almost see the vapors rising, and it looks like mules could have strolled by without anyone noticing! Add to that the water levels were clearly insane. I've occasionally wondered about the left (south) side of Pine Lake, and your report answered that one. Nice work! Cameron
fox212
Topix Novice

Post by fox212 »

Thanks Cameron! Ha - yea we were wondering for a little while as well. Spent like 2 hours in that exact spot. Well, almost exactly...had to move a bit to stay in the shade :) Nothing like a dunk in snow melt to clear the head though!