Silver Creek Trail from Fox Meadow/Miller's Crossing

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Silver Creek Trail from Fox Meadow/Miller's Crossing

Post by jenreyn »

Hey gang,

After doing a bunch of research for a possible loop this weekend, I am not finding a whole lot of info of this area. I know from being a resident in Mammoth that many trails are defunct or unmaintained in this region, however it also makes me curious about this region of the San Joaquin/Miller's Crossing. I have found Bob Burds TR to Balloon Dome and another from 2011, random pictures, etc but not much else out there. I also found that Miller's Crossing is a cable cart going across the river as well. We are looking at entering Fish Creek Trail to Fox Meadow, up Silver Creek Trail on towards Rube Meadow and down to Millers Crossing. From there we are hoping to hike up the little to non-existant trail on the west side of the San Joaquin and catch the Mammoth Trail back to Devils Postpile. This summer we accessed Isberg Pass from Devils Postpile so we are familiar with most of the section on the west side of the river other than from Millers Crossing past Cattle Mountain. So just seeing if anyone has experience hiking in this area or thoughts on conditions. For reference, I am a highly experienced/competent cross country backpacker in all conditions with years of travel across the sierra. Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing from you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Silver Creek Trail from Fox Meadow/Miller's Crossing

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org