TR: SEKI Loop 9/14-22

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: SEKI Loop 9/14-22

Post by Wandering Daisy »

As a expert on SEKI, do you think carrying a pack up to Lake Josehpine is reasonable? I still want to try this in the future, but definitely want more than a day-hike.

Yes, Sphinx would have been really beautiful with the fresh new snow. I have spent two nights there before and really like it, although, I do not like the trek up Sphinx Creek. However going back over Avalanche, I did finally realize that the forest on the top is really quite unique. Are those big trees White Barks or Sequioas? Too bad there is no water up there- it would be a great place to camp.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

If my feet had gotten as cold as you said yours did, would have warmed some water, pour it into my water bottle, and placed it at my feet, in the bag.

I too carry bags for the same purpose SSSDave has them for, so items can be placed in my bag, if needed.

Would definitely carry my pack up to JL, it is well worth spending 2-3 days up there. :nod:

BBL is known by some of us backcountry professional photographers, as one of the best places to witness a magical alpenglow, in all of the Sierra.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

So with camera gear which I assume means heavy packs, which way do you prefer to go into Big Brewer Lake?

I have now gone in three ways: 1) Sphinx Creek/Lakes/pass 2) Old Ranger's route up from Cement Table Meadows, on a flat to Barton Creek and into Brewer Creek and up 3) Moraine Meadows up gully adjacent to Moraine Ridge, to lower lake, then same route up Brewer Creek. I have not gone directly up Brewer Creek. I have also day-hiked to South Guard Lake and have backpacked up Cunningham Creek to connect with South Guard.

None of the routes are a piece of cake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So with camera gear which I assume means heavy packs, which way do you prefer to go into Big Brewer Lake?
Not sure if you were addressing me, if yes, here is my answer.

Have used all those, including Brewer Creek, and coming from Lake Reflection, all have there +/-.

The Bubbs>Sphinx Lakes>Sphinx Col route, is the most direct, and if my main photography focus was on BBL, then it would be my choice. If I was out 8-10 days, then East Lake>Lake Reflection>LP>BP>BBL>SC>SL>Bubbs would be my choice, with 4-5 days spent in the East Creek corridor and the BBL/Sphinx Lakes area.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

My trip to Humphreys Basin that I came out of a couple weeks ago was my 199th since 1971 after I was HD from the USAF. Although I've backpacked to a whole lot of places there are many more I have not simply because the range is immense. Enough for several life times of most 8-5 m-f working people. I've never been to any of the Roaring River areas nor most of the Middle Fork of the Kings, nor much of the upper Kern. I have a good number of old 35mm SLR Kodachromes of dawn, sunrise, sunset, dusk but none of that stuff will ever be shown in public in this era.

There is a list of places that have unblocked views towards sunsets and sunrises beyond BBL. If a lake is only blocked by a few degrees above the horizon it will still be relatively excellent. The higher altitude lakes generally have clearer atmospheres and better light phenomenon. Lakes east of the Sierra Crest have clearer air more often than lakes west of the crest. The southern Sierra including BBL more often has dirty air due to the awful San Joaquin Valley smog. Generally the good places are unknown to photographers because most people just go places they saw pictures of or that someone talked about like BBL. Like they don't know how to figure that stuff out themselves haha. Humphreys in fact has some of those places I would have sat on a bit were it not for my week of almost continuous storms.

The best lakes with views of rising dawn/sun and setting set/dusk will have relatively unblocked views because it is the lower altitude atmosphere where best color generally shows. It also helps if there are features against that view like canyon walls or interesting landforms and trees sticking up against those views. Additionally helping aesthetics are elements like islands and rocks in a body of water to make reflections more interesting. Also smaller lakes and ponds generally are better for mirror reflections than larger lakes because any waves die out quicker during calm lulls. Generally because of the latter, I prefer ponds and there are numbers of no name ponds in places no bodies go to.

Decades ago I pretty much noted all that are on Sierra Nevada topos. One simply needs to get approximate sun and moon data from this old site:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/index.php

Most lakes are only going to have usable views during parts of the year they are not blocked. For instance BBL becomes blocked to the south by mid October though no one would bother to go there that late in the season anyway. Spire Lake that I recently mentioned on another thread is only good during this equinox period when light fits between Wheeler Ridge and Mt Tom. In any case just knowing where some of these lakes and ponds are is only part of the battle. One also needs to have clear air and clouds can help immensely though more often are the kiss of death when they block warm light. Even when weather forecasts look promising, the tendency is for excellent conditions to occur infrequently. Like maverick's long siege at Ediza. One very easy lake to play the game at is immense Mono Lake, especially during fall when the air is more likely clear and clouds are more common.

David
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Decades ago I pretty much noted all that are on Sierra Nevada topos. One simply needs to get approximate sun and moon data from this old site:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/index.php
Or use this, which is specifically for photographers: http://photoephemeris.com/ :nod:

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I was expecting hazy skies but other than the first day, the air was crystal clear. Driving home on the 22nd, you could even see the mountains clearly from Hwy 99. All the times I have been at Big Brewer Lake, it has been very clear and sunsets good. But then, I am not a professional photogapher, so perhaps my standards are pretty low. Sphinx Lakes are also photogenic. Yes, the loop Sphinx-Brewer Basin-South Guard-Longly Pass-Reflection Lake-East Lake and back Bubbs Creek is a fabulous loop, either direction.

My travel plan was too spread out, so I had to spend too much time just walking from one destination to the other. I should have saved Big Bird and Deadman Canyon for another trip and focused on Cloud Canyon and tributaries, which would have left more time for Josephine Lake.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Another great report WD. That is one of my favorite areas, I really enjoyed your fabulous photos. Obviously you were prepared for the cold, I wonder how many were caught out there that weren't (kind of expected to see some SEKI reports after the weekend). Good choice avoiding Sphinx. I can just imagine the winds howling at the top of the pass, and the talus field would be a real knee breaker on the way down with the new snow.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Looks like a really beautiful area. There are so many different areas to explore, but I probably won't ever make it to this region.

The difficulty factor of driving through LA, and then up to the west side THs, is so much greater than simply lollygagging it through the Mojave to Lone Pine. Like any creature of habit, it's just easier and more convenient to go with the sure thing.

The last time I drove to Sierra from the Bay area was maybe 10 years ago. I was visiting my parents in Saratoga - where I grew up - and took a quick trip with my brother. I had forgotten about how much effort it takes to get through SV traffic, then drive across the SJ valley while cruising through the small towns, and then slowly winding our way up to the crest.

Compare that to my regular drive from OC: 75 miles of freeway (reverse commute traffic) to the 395. Deal with the 15 lights in Victorville, spread across 10 miles, that are really nothing at all, and then home free for 40 miles until Boron. One light at the famous cross roads, then 125 miles through the Mojave to Lone Pine. No curves, cruise control & light traffic equals feeling pretty refreshed and ready to go after only 4 hours of driving.

So, I'm looking at your photos thinking it looks pretty spectacular, but knowing I'd really have to get over a mental hurdle to motivate myself to check it out in person.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Hwy 99 has been expanded/improved in the last 10 years. You can make good time on it, but the heavy semi-truck traffic is stressful to me. Hwy 99 rush hour traffic is not as bad as Bay Area traffic. It takes me 6 hours to get from my home 10 miles east of Sacramento to Roads End. That is about the same as going to the trailheads just south of Bishop. Hwy 99 is really ugly and the whole route to the east side is a nice scenic trip in itself, therefore I too tend to prefer going to the east side. From the LA area, you can also take some lesser used roads from Visalia to the SEKI entrance at Grant Grove.

The other annoyance for going in from a SEKI trailhead is that you are charged minimum a $15 fee even for walk-in permits. The permit is $10 for any group (even solo) plus $5 per person. Needless to say, my trips to SEKI from the west side are few.

You need to just bite the bullet and do some trips from Mineral King, Lodgepole or Roads End. They are really worth the annoynace.