TRIP ADVICE: KAWEAH BASIN

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TRIP ADVICE: KAWEAH BASIN

Post by CAMERONM »

Hello. I put together an itinerary for the Kaweah Basin, based on information found in Secor, this website and others. Any comments about the itinerary, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated. I just completed the SHR, so I am familiar with current snow conditions; I am comfortable with off-trail and class 3 climbing, and I don't like exposed or risky situations. I hope to start September 14 from Lodgepole and have allotted two days to make it into the Basin via the SHT and Pants Pass, spend the next two nights at the lowest Picket lake and then the Red Spur lakes area, the fifth night around the base of Pyra-Col pass, and then two days to return over Pyra and make it back, total seven days. I am aware of the Triple-Divide access option but want to stick to a trail to the Basin and back. I do have specific questions:
-is anyone aware of any downloadable GPS tracks that correspond with any sections of this trip?
-if I took in one or two peaks along the way, which ones?
-has anyone taken options A-E over the Picket ridge? (see attached images) E looks the easiest.
-any particular reason to allot time in the area marked by "H"?
-has anyone taken the path marked by the blue dots from G (Red Spur lakes) into the Basin?
Thanks in advance for reading this post and any comments!
BASIN_01.jpg
BASIN_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tomba
Topix Regular

Re: TRIP ADVICE: KAWEAH BASIN

Post by tomba »

I was over pass "A" ("Lawson Pass", in quotes since it is an unofficial name) and pass "E". Pass "E" is easier. I guess pass "A" ("Lawson Pass") may more difficult this year due to last winter high snow. "D" looks too steep on the on the north side. For more info on "A", "B", "C", and "E" see this map. Click on the pins for descriptions, and follow the links there for more details.

Area "H" is nice.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Cameron,
There are several TRs posted in the HST annals (by Maverick, trailblazer etc) and my only advice is to give yourself as much time in Kaweah basin as possible. It's spectacular, and even though the weather did not cooperate through most of the trip I took there (I posted a TR in 2009, but the Flickr photo link is completely muddled), I'd love to get back. On our trip, we entered Picket Guard basin via the ridge you labeled C and it was very straightforward. One caveat is that the entire Picket Guard basin is pretty rough for finding campsites (at least ones with enough space for a 2 man tent), so you may want to aim to jam through there. I'll be curious how Pyra-queen pass works for you. Cameron
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This year Pyra-Queen may have unavoidable snow. I did it late season in a high-snow year and had to cut steps down a short ice band that crossed the entire gully (Nine Lakes side). In addition, water was running down the entire slope making the slabs very slippery. You may want to take micro-spikes.

Two days to Keweah Basin is quite ambitious. I have done it in two long days via Pyra Queen, but it took 3 days going out via Pants Pass. The south side of Pants Pass is much easier to go down than up. Starting mid Sept you will have reduced daylight compared to mid-summer.

The lakes around your "H" are not particularly spectacular. More time in Keweah Basin would be a better use of your time.

I have done pass "E"- not as bad as it looks. It is steep but has good hand holds.

Check out all the trip reports from the 2015 "meet-up". People took multiple routes to get there and there are some good descriptions.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Thanks everyone for all the great comments. As a result I am going to add another day for a total of 8 for a more flexible schedule with a better chance to include at least one peak. I have been thinking about the microspike issue; they stayed in the pack all the way from Dusy Basin to Road's End two weeks ago, so I was hoping to avoid carrying them, but a morning ascent of Pyra-Col makes the question more problematic. The weather still looks great, but I always have bad luck with fires in Sequoia. We'll see...
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I really liked eagle scout peak and picket guard peak. I was just up on black kaweah and prya queen col had some snow in it and the snow bellow black was not soft enough for no crampons (even later in the day)so I would assume pyra is the same
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

I was just over 'C' and found it the opposite of straightforward. Cliffs out in most places. 'B' looked much easier on south side. 'H' is wide open/spacious but I'd rather hang out in upper Picket Ck. Great challenging route.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I've been to G and the lakes above and have noticed that a number of people think this area is spectacular. It didn't move me. I'd just as soon wander around within Kaweah Basin to get as many views of that magnificent ridge as I can. On the other hand, don't miss the lakes at the lower end of Picket Creek. They are otherworldly.
Last edited by sekihiker on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

sekihiker wrote:I've been to G and the lakes above and have noticed that a number of people think this area is spectacular. It didn't move me. I'd just as soon wander around within Kaweah Basin to get as many view of that magnificent ridge as I can. On the other hand, don't miss the lakes at the lower end of Picket Creek. They are otherworldly.
I think the allure of Red Spur lakes is simply their remoteness. From a visual standpoint, there are many other basins in the area that are more spectacular, but the off-the-beaten track nature of Red Spur has drawn many of us there. That having said, it is one of those places that I think an off trail wanderer wants to check out, but once having done so may not be so compelled to come back.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I've been to G and the lakes above and have noticed that a number of people think this area is spectacular. It didn't move me.
I fall into the that group, and was moved by this basin. It has fantastic photo opportunities, if the weather cooperates, nice cirrus, cirrocumulus, or altocumulus clouds. :nod:
That having said, it is one of those places that I think an off trail wanderer wants to check out, but once having done so may not be so compelled to come back.
Would go back in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:

"A" and "E" passes are the easiest, as Tomba mention, "A" may be more difficult this year because of the snow, which will complicate that route.

"H" is nice, but would rather spend more time in KB and "G" locations.

"F" is what you have heard, fantastic.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org