Copper Mine Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Copper Mine Pass

Post by Tom_H »

Scroll about halfway down this page. The writer gives a description, has the map line you requested, and exact GPS coordinates.

Also, scroll about three-fourths of the way down this one.

About one-third of the way down this.

Somewhat related interesting story
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

On July 28 1990, I attempted to cross Coppermine Pass (east to west) but went too far south. I guess I could have hiked north up the ridge but I decided to descend to Tamarack Lake instead. See my Triple Divide Loop I report for details at: http://www.sierrahiker.com/TripleDivideLoopI/index.html

The next year on August 26 1991, I went over Coppermine Pass (east to west) and the route was so obvious that I didn't bother to put in a description. The difference from 1990? I looked hard for the trail and stuck with it all the way to the top. For what it's worth, see Triple Divide Loop II report at: http://www.sierrahiker.com/TripleDivide ... index.html

Remember, Coppermine Peak IS the top of the pass. It could be called Coppermine Peak/Pass.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks everyone. Given the difficulty finding the pass, and my failure to do so last time, I will save this pass for some other trip when I have more time to poke around and find it.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

sekihiker wrote:Remember, Coppermine Peak IS the top of the pass. It could be called Coppermine Peak/Pass.
That's a good point. When I first started backpacking, I automatically associated the word pass with either a saddle or a col, i.e. a low point on a ridge to get from one valley to another. Then I read about the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C. where the Spartan General Leonidas and his elite force of 300 held off a Persian army of several hundred thousand at the Thermopylae Pass. This pass was a narrow roadway along the base of a cliff and on the edge of treacherous waters in the Gulf of Malia. Because of the narrow passageway, only a few soldiers from each side could fight across the narrow front. The elite Spartan special forces killed innumerable Persians, with almost no losses of their own for several days. Finally, a spy acquired information about a high pass around the mountain and the Spartans were trapped in the low pass from both sides.

So the word pass is short for passageway. On the freeway we have overpasses and underpasses, and apparently Copper Mine Pass snakes from the north side of the rim at the upper (southern) end of Cloud Canyon around the south side of the summit of Peak 12,345, and into the northern side of the rim at the southern end of Deadman Canyon, with the trail continuing to the old mine. Reminds me of something out of Lord of the Rings. It also should broaden the meaning of the word pass for a lot of us.
Last edited by Tom_H on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robert h
Topix Novice

Post by robert h »

Hi,

I crossed Copper Mine Pass west to east in 2014. Our route followed the 8/11/04 map mentioned by Tom H only going reverse direction starting at Lonely Lake. We crossed Pteryadactyl Pass heading toward the copper mine on the ridge west of peak 12345 (shown on USGS map). From the mine there is an abandoned trail that follows the ridge east toward peak 12345. The route skirts about 20-30' below and south of Peak 12345. We dropped into Cloud Canyon about 100' east of Peak 12345.

Picture is of my friend heading into Cloud Canyon from the top. It sounds like you've changed your trip but I have GPX at home if you're interested.

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

The ski route into Deadman (from E to W) once assuming the saddle of Copper Mine Pass from Cloud is to climb NORTH up and over the ridge and then descend west into the bowl of Deadman.

Looking North up ridge from Copper Mine:
CopperMineRidge.jpg
Route:
CopperMineRoute.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hurricaniac on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

That's not the correct pass. Read the previous posts.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Daisy,
If it's any consolation, I've passed on Copper Mine repeatedly because the next ridge to the North looked easier (basically, the spot right under the "g" in Glacier Ridge on Zac's map) and I've done it several times now with no ill effects. And, no route-finding challenges. And, it's a bit lower. Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I've passed on Copper Mine repeatedly because the next ridge to the North looked easier (basically, the spot right under the "g" in Glacier Ridge on Zac's map) and I've done it several times now with no ill effects. And, no route-finding challenges. And, it's a bit lower. Cameron
Have used the above route, descended to 10800, traversed north on the eastern side of Glacier Ridge, then over the ridge line to the lakes on the western side, and then over again, to Lake 11062, and on to Josephine Lake. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

maverick wrote:
I've passed on Copper Mine repeatedly because the next ridge to the North looked easier (basically, the spot right under the "g" in Glacier Ridge on Zac's map) and I've done it several times now with no ill effects. And, no route-finding challenges. And, it's a bit lower. Cameron
Have used the above route, descended to 10800, traversed north on the eastern side of Glacier Ridge, then over the ridge line to the lakes on the western side, and then over again, to Lake 11062, and on to Josephine Lake. :nod:
Whoa! That's a studly route! I'll bet you slept well that night.