TR Kearsarge/Rae Lakes/Sixty Lakes Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Dana
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR Kearsarge/Rae Lakes/Sixty Lakes Basin

Post by Dana »

9/2-5: Just completed loop from Onion Valley to Rae Lakes with side trip to Sixty Lakes Basin.

Monsoon weather pattern made for a dynamic itinerary scenario and contingency planning...

JMT trail traffic was 8-10. Mosquito's 0-2 most everywhere. Smoke was 2-5 morning of 3rd but cleared for remainder of trip as front moved in. Glen Pass is devoid of snow on south side. North side has a small lingering snowfield below headwall and some trail damage do to avalanches just below the Col.

Flora and Fauna a solid 10. Almost like spring in Fall. Purported Bear activity 8-10 but personaly only witnessed occasional scat in Charlotte Lake area. Lots of Mule Deer Bucks possibly in early rutt?

Day temps were 60-80F, Night temps 30-40F. FWIW, I used a 32F rated bag and wish I had the 20F... Sleeping in all your clothes isnt fun, somebody call a whambulance! :crybaby:

Side trip to Sixty Lakes Basin from Rae Lakes was amazing. Traffic 0-3 with only a few overnighters in the basin. Sunset on west facing Fin Dome was spectacular and full moon made for easy night hiking back to base camp.

NPS weather is forecasting westerly conditions to kick back in sometime around the 9th, could also usher in heavy smoke... :-({|=

Happy Trails,
D

Dana
Topix Novice

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR Kearsarge/Rae Lakes/Sixty Lakes Basin

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Dana,
Any chance of a couple photos? Like Fin Dome? And, for future reference, it's often been the case all this Summer that Bodie/Tahoe Valley or some other locale in CA has logged the daily low temperature for the whole US. If those places are recording low 30s, high 20s, you can be sure it'll be chillier higher up. I know it's nice to shed the extra weight, but it makes for long nights! Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

*no_pics*

Worthless is the only option given, but sure would like to see some photo's, otherwise it is more of a tease. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Sounds like a great little trip Dana. How did you make your loop? That area really lends itself to amazing circles, both short and long.
Does your note on mosquitos (0-2) mean that they were scarce? I hardly saw or more felt any on my recent trip.
Thanks for posting, and welcome to the HST. Harlen
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The post is not worthless. Without photos, perhaps it would more approriately belong in the "Condtions" sub-forum. There is good information on conditions.
But, yes, photos and more detail would be wonderful!