TR: Bear Lakes Basin 8/28 - 9/1

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Bear Lakes Basin 8/28 - 9/1

Post by steiny98 »

I have been looking at Bear Lakes Basin as a possible destination for two years, and was ecstatic to finally visit the area this year. After a couple hiccups which involved cutting the trip down by one day, and having to find another friend to accompany me on the trip, I was off. This is part 1 of two back-to-back trips, the second of which would begin on Friday morning 9/1 from Mosquito Flat TH.

August 28th: Pine Creek TH to Honeymoon Lake
We left LA around 6 AM and arrived in Lone Pine for the permit pick up around 9 AM. After quickly chatting with the rangers we made the 40 minute drive to the trailhead, and were walking through the horse corral and beginning the ascent at 11:00 AM. I thoroughly enjoyed the walk along this trail. One begins in the forest, and quickly ascends a series of switchbacks which overlook a dormant tungsten mine while simultaneously offering views up to a beautiful waterfall cascading down from Pine Lake. The first day was not very eventful. Our goal was to make it to Granite Park, but my friend did not have the energy to climb an additional thousand feet, so we settled for Honeymoon Lake. I had my rod strung up and was fishing by 4 PM, and caught some trout.
Pine Lake Waterfall-min.JPG

August 29th: Honeymoon Lake to Teddy Bear Lake
We awoke to a light pitter patter on the tent during the night, but nothing too concerning. This would be a fairly consistent weather pattern during the duration of the trip. After packing up at Honeymoon Lake, we began the trek up to Granite Park. One quick aside- what’s up with people not giving uphill hikers the right of way? Was really annoying that people would charge down the hill without letting uphill hikers continue on. Anyway, Granite Park is absolutely stunning. You could do a full trip just exploring the hidden nooks and crannies the area holds. After a lunch break at the top lake, we began the ascent of Italy Pass. There is a trail through Granite Park, but we lost it prior to the last lake, and found it in sections on the way to Italy Pass. It is easy navigating, and was not a problem. We lost the trail from Jumble Lake to Italy Lake and descended over granite boulders and ramps to the lakeshore. Multiple snowfields are living along the shores of Lake Italy, the scariest of which has a ten foot drop directly into the lake. We were glad to have brought microspikes even if it was more for the mental security. One could easily cross the snowfields sans traction devices. We descended from Lake Italy to gaze upon a beautiful hanging valley, and after one final snow crossing, made our way to camp between Teddy Bear Lake and Brown Bear Lake.
Granite Park-min.JPG
Top of Granite Park-min.JPG
Descending to Jumble-min-min.JPG
Lake Italy-min-min.JPG
Scary Snowfield-min.JPG
Below TB Lake-min-min (1).JPG
August 30th: Teddy Bear Lake to Big Bear Lake
We were glad to have gotten a late start on Thursday morning. As we were packing packs, making coffee and eating breakfast, we got hit with an extremely windy thunderstorm. We thought the rain would quickly pass, and did not take proper precaution to ensure our gear would stay dry. Our stove was left out, bear cans strewn about camp with lids off, and some clothing was resting on the rocks. After an intense hour in the tarptent, which was not properly pitched for the rain, we emerged to warm sun. The morale quickly turned, funny how that works. We looked at our main objective for the day- White Bear Pass. My friend, with no cross country experience, crushed it. Admittedly I was concerned about him, but he was faced with the option of having a bad attitude or just going with the flow. We followed HST’s helpful advice and ascended with the “follow the green” mantra, and traversed the top section to the pass. It was a slog up, with some exposed sections that would not be good if we fell, but up and up we went. One thing to note is there is a large gravel chute between two sections of green. This chute did not look very safe/appealing from the bottom, so we opted for the slightly steeper green section which bypassed the gravel chute. Once at the top, we followed a use trail along White Bear Lake, past two small tarns, and down some granite boulders to Black Bear Lake. We then made our way down to Big Bear Lake where we met one couple fishing. We pitched our tent between Black Bear and Ursa Lake, explored the upper drainage, and enjoyed some well-deserved rest. I can’t properly describe the beauty of this area. I loved the contrast of the verticality of the rocks and cliffs which immediately dropped off into the flat lakes. I highly suggest visiting this area, it was extremely special.
WB Pass-min.JPG
Ascending WB Pass-min.JPG
White Bear Lake-min-min.JPG
Big Bear Lake-min.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Bear Lakes Basin 8/28 - 9/1

Post by steiny98 »

August 31st: Big Bear Lake to Honeymoon Lake
We took a quick day hike to Vee Lake. I wish we had an extra day to properly explore this basin, but we settled for the rushed tour instead. After returning to our packs and packing up, we retraced our steps to White Bear Lake, and worked our way up to the flat part of Dancing Bear Pass prior to the long traverse. After a quick lunch, we began the traverse. The traverse is much longer than we thought it would take us, but after we crossed about five different snowfields, and clambered over about five boulder fields, we arrived at Italy Pass. This was not the hardest pass, just long, and required a lot of mental focus due to the snow. We then quickly retraced our steps and made it to Honeymoon Lake to camp.
En Route to Vee-min.JPG
Vee Lake-min.JPG
Finishing Dancing Bear Pass-min.JPG
Granite Park Descent-min-min.JPG
September 1st: Honeymoon Lake to Pine Creek TH
My friend and I were due to meet our other three friends at Mosquito Flat at 10 AM to begin our other trip. We quickly made the descent to the trailhead in about two hours.

Fishing: I caught small trout ranging from 4” to 10” on this trip. I struck out at two lunker lakes I passed, and did not have enough time to reach a third rumored big fish lake. This will have to wait for another trip.

Part 2 to be posted separately. Thanks for reading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Bear Lakes Basin 8/28 - 9/1

Post by SSSdave »

Two strenuous days to reach and then return from the East Fork of Bear Creek upper basin deserves more than a single layover day. The place is huge with numbers of lakes, many secrets, much to explore.

steiny98 >>>"...One quick aside- what’s up with people not giving uphill hikers the right of way? Was really annoying that people would charge down the hill without letting uphill hikers continue on.

Cannot recall ever reading anything about right of ways when meeting others going in the opposite direction on trails. Well outside equestrian traffic that is another subject. And over decades have never had any troubles. Most people simply automatically read the body language of those approaching, smile, maybe say hi, and move aside where one can easily pass or notice I stopped at a spot wide enough for both to pass. But am not surprised if there are a few hikers without much awareness or consideration.

David