Bench Valley Trip Report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bench Valley Trip Report

Post by Harlen »

sekihiker wrote:
One-seeded Pussypaws Calyptridium monospermum- Research Grade.
Well done Bill on all of your fine Natural History Observations. I see your observations are deemed to be "Research Grade." I think you deserve this grade, except that you choose to include that off-putting common name. Why not simply "catpaws," or "kitty paws?" I must not be the only one out here with Freudian hang-ups. :paranoid:

100_2032 (1).jpg
"Catpaws."

100_1783 (2).jpg
Manzanita from the same June trip above Wishon.

Just joshin' again Bill. I enjoyed your trip report, and learning from your added Natural History notes. Thanks again, Ian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bench Valley Trip Report

Post by sekihiker »

Harlen wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:06 pm One-seeded Pussypaws Calyptridium monospermum
Not many of us want to say Calyptridium monospermum when we see one. Although it's surprising how often the scientific name pops into my head first. But that common name has all kinds of interesting ways to think about it.
In addition to your photo being about as good as it gets, you managed to capture a couple of babies and a lone purple monkeyflower as well. The manzanita flowers were at their peak also.
We are looking forward to seeing reports of your winter adventures, Ian.