TR: taboose, upper basin, and NOT lake basin, 8/23-8/29

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Turtleggjp
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: taboose, upper basin, and NOT lake basin, 8/23-8/29

Post by Turtleggjp »

There's a chance I might be going up that way to go after Marion Peak in a few weeks. I'll keep my eyes out for it.

Matt
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

robert, i can see how finding the bottom of the cartridge trail might be time consuming. i didn't find much evidence of any trail leading up to it. like i said, that big, open meadow area is the probably the thing to be searching for rather than a trail.

daisy, i also doubt you'd save much time by dropping straight from bench. though we were going exceptionally slow.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Back in the trees, away from the creek, there is a large camp area with cairns where the Cartridge Trail started, at least when I was there a few years back. Not sure if the cairns are still there.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Back in the trees, away from the creek, there is a large camp area with cairns where the Cartridge Trail started, at least when I was there a few years back. Not sure if the cairns are still there.
Yes, that is right. The trail is easy to locate if you take the time to look for it. It is about 200 yards north of the river in an area that is thickly wooded with Lodgepole pine trees (not a lot of open space in the area) and is well marked by rocks that have been placed there to invite you to head up the obvious path. The switchbacks are in good shape and are easy to follow. Once up to the pretty lake just south of the pass, the trail grows faint and is easy to lose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

found this trip report and enjoyed it! you're right, "cartridge lake" looks stunning.