Trip Report: Ebbetts Pass to Raymond Lake, Peak & Pinnacle

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Report: Ebbetts Pass to Raymond Lake, Peak & Pinnacle

Post by Harlen »

"Bear" and I just returned (Tuesday- 9/5) from a long Labor-Day weekend trip from Ebbetts Pass Trailhead, north to Raymond Lake, which is set below a half-circle of stunning volcanic cliffs. Those reddish cliffs culminate in Raymond Peak, which is the highest mountain around at 10,014 feet.

The wilderness permit was no problem as there is no quota for this area, and the road to it- Highway 4, is relatively painless as west side Sierra approaches go. The Ebbetts Pass trailhead is 8,640 feet, and Raymond Lake is 8894', so it is a pretty easy eight or nine miles of hiking on the PCT.

The side trail up to the lake is signed, and is a nice walk, unless one happens to be barefoot, like the burly young guy I met along the way. His big old leather boots were draped over his pack: "Have you worn out your boots?" "No," he says, "but they have just about worn through my heel." I checked out his bloody heel, wondering how that much damage could happen in the 4.5 miles from "Wet Meadows Res." I asked how tough his feet were, and he said that luckily, he goes barefoot a lot, and he was doing okay. Anyway, I pressed my packs of moleskin and sticky ace bandage on him, declined the "weed" offer for payment, and agreed to meet again at the lake, or up on the mountain top, which he still hoped to climb.

I began this trip with a very late start on Friday, so pulled up at the first little creek under Ebbetts Peak, and camped on a small ridge top which I knew would give me a great sunrise view. I also liked the idea of walking in the early morning light beneath the stunning array of volcanic peaks and pinnacles that line the west side of the path to the lake. [Can someone help us out here with a few photos of the area? I left my little camera behind this trip.]

There was a lot of Indian paintbrush in full bloom, so I'll slip in this flower photo from elsewhere.
DSC00868.JPG

The morning views were great; the brilliant red sun shone on Reynolds and Raymond Peaks, and all the pinnacles in between with a ruddy glow reminiscent of the Sangre de Cristo Range. The hike along the range, gazing up at the front-lit peaks was everything I had hoped for- plus there was a surprising flower garden at my feet- highlighted by bright violet clumps of Pennyroyal, yellow Rabbitbrush, orange Indian paintbrush, and both yellow, and purple Bush lupine. I made it the 8 miles to Raymond Lake, and arrived to find nearly every camping site filled! Labor day weekend of course. I didn't know how popular this lake was, both due to its beauty, and to the fine fishing it offers. There is a nice stock of both golden and cutthroat trout to be found, and the lake was dominated by fly-casters.

Raymond Lake lies just 1020 ' below the high point of Raymond Peak, and the route up, on a path of solid volcanic bedrock leads to the dog-friendly eastern ridge to the summit. We were up in little over a half hour, all alone on the summit, which typically was littered with marmot scat... and what's this? The distinctly skunky odor of marijuana buds- a generous pile of them tucked in the crevice, next one over from the marmot droppings. It was the barefoot guy again no doubt, who had managed to climb up Saturday afternoon. Regrettably perhaps, but at this stage in life the marmot pile was the far more interesting one to me. So I crushed some up, and no, I didn't smoke any, but I did search through it to see if I could identify any seed material. I suspect they are eating some of the alpine buckwheat. [I realize that some of you must be troubled by my tastes, but you can't please everybody.]

At least I didn't smoke the $hit.
ian.jpg
The smug look of a non-smoker.

From the summit I clearly recognized "Roundtop," and "Elephant back" peaks over by Carson Pass, and that is when I realized that this peak I was now on was the very same craggy mass I had viewed from our hike up the easternmost of the "Sisters," back in the spring. The view back to the south west was intriguing too, as there is a very challenging and vertical pinnacle with some big "windows," and chimneys shot through it. This pinnacle is the second highest peak around, though strangely, it is unnammed. It's the one exactly 1 mile due southwest from Raymond Peak. Beneath it to the north east is a perfectly circular, bright green meadow, and that was enough to inspire me to change plans. So I climbed down the south slope of Raymond, and found my way over to the green circle. After chasing "Bear" around the meadow, I told him I'd be back in a little while, and tied him up to the willows by the water. Then I took a stab at the pinnacle. I negotiated the easier rock till I reached the last 100 feet, where one of several chimneys began. I bridged and chimneyed far enough up to learn that it would be a hard downclimb if I continued, and there was seemingly no easy side to descend. No rope, no helmet, ..... and what would become of poor 'Bear" left tied to the willows... just enough excuses to back off gracefully. The first few hundred feet had been challenging enough, and I was glad that I had placed my temporary cairns marking the confusing route up to my high point. I followed those back down, removing each as I passed it.

We traveled down the valley to the west, and met the PCT for a nice 3 mile hike around the Raymond massif to the warm water of the lake again. Bear and I swam around for awhile, it really was warm enough to stay in, and swim together. We decided to stay on a third day on Monday while everyone else, down to the last pair packed up and left. There had been an average of 22 campers before that. Being alone at the lake was wonderful, with so many interesting wildlife sounds, not the least of which was of large fish surfacing. There was a lot of birdlife, including 3 peregrine falcons, green towhees, and the ubiquitous and very loud Clark's nutcrackers. I was in the tent in the late afternoon after everyone had left, when I heard such a splash that I thought someone had arrived late, and dived in. Then another thought crossed my mind, and I rapidly exited just in time to see a huge Osprey dripping wet, and flying away from the lake, probably with a nice fish tucked under her belly. I am uncertain because I didn't switch from my reading to distance glasses in time to be sure. That was the wildlife highlight for sure.

I decided to return the same way I had come in, and I'm glad I did, as this is the most scenic route for an early morning hike, and it took better care of Bear's leg, which had a bit of a strain.

This trip turned out to be the completion of two mountain dreams instead of one. I had seen the view north from Ebbetts Pass three or four years ago, and had decided that I must return to have a closer look at those sharp mountains. And then last spring, skiing up on the ridges over Carson Pass, I had gazed south with great interest, but zero knowledge at the dark and craggy mass of mountains at the far end of the Mokelumne watershed. It was super windy, blowing snow in our faces, so I was unclear on the view. Later, on the map I figured out that I was looking at Raymond Peak, and filed it away as another place to explore. It wasn't till I saw over to Roundtop and Elephant Back that I connected the two areas. It was a great feeling, especially because it was unplanned, to find myself climbing the very mountain I had dreamed of reaching, without even being clear as to how to get to it.

I highly recommend this hike from Ebbetts Pass to Raymond Lake. It has a lot to offer, and is exceedingly easy hiking. The area to the south of Pennsylvania Creek, is a photographer's paradise, and I really hope some of the great photographers among us will help to fill this report out with a few of their images. Thanks in advance. Harlen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Re: Trip Report: Ebbetts Pass to Raymond Lake, Peak & Pin-

Post by Vaca Russ »

Harlen,

This is a great area to visit. Here are some pictures of Raymond.
5 Climb Up Raymond.JPG
6 Climb Around Left.JPG
10 Lake From Peak.JPG
Victor Henney and Susan Wyman-Henney are famous climbers and friends of our own "Gazelle". I met them on my climb of Raymond a few years ago.
7 Vic and Sue.JPG
Is this the pinnacle you tried?
Pinnacle.JPG
SNOOOOW and I bagged Reynolds the other day. I have some pictures from that climb but they are on my laptop at home. I can post some later.

Thanks for the report!

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Russ, Thanks very much for the prompt help with the photos. Let me see if I get this right:

-The first photo is looking down the north slope of Raymond Peak, and shows one of those nice bedrock routes up the peak. Raymond Lake is just out of the picture in the lower left of the frame. Photo #2 is looking up the same chute to the summit block.

-Photo #3 is the view north from the summit, with Raymond Lake at the center, and above the lake are the cliffs over Pleasant Valley Creek, which runs to the West Fork of the Carson River in the distance.

-I can't place the view in the 4th photo, but the pinnacle in the final shot is not the one I tried, but the 9120 foot one that the PCT trail passes just before dropping down into Pennsylvania Creek. It lies almost exactly 1 mile due south of Raymond Peak, while mine is just shy of a mile SW from Raymond Pk.
The south-east slope of Raymond is seen in the upper left.

I'll bet Reynolds Peak was a really nice climb.

Thanks again, Russ.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Harlen wrote: -I can't place the view in the 4th photo,

I'll bet Reynolds Peak was a really nice climb.

Thanks again, Russ.
Harlen,

The forth photo is looking due west from very near the summit of Raymond. This is mainly a photo of Sue and Vic.

Reynolds peak was a great climb. We should climb it sometime. SNOOOOW is going to respond to this post with more pictures. I texted him (Jon) and he wants to post some pictures.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

That's great, thanks for more photos Jon- any of that strange pinkish rock north of Reynolds?
I just read up on your Reynolds adventure- looks fun. I don't suppose you found any buds on the summit?
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Harlen wrote:I don't suppose you found any buds on the summit?
We didn't find any buds on Reynolds. This is a somewhat challenging climb. The historic register is still intact!

But once I found bud in the register on Basin. :)
6 Register.JPG
7 Meds.JPG
Thanks,

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

These are the pictures that didn't make the cut for my report on Reynolds. Most were taken from the PCT toward Reynolds.
IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG
Thanks,

-Russ

Kahil Gibran.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I've never hiked in a volcanic terrain. It sure has a different vibe. Thanks for the great photos, guys.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Wow Russ, those are some pretty nice "culls." You've done a great job of completing my Trip Report for me- thanks yet again.
For those of us that don't know this area as well as Russ, I'll fill in some of the captions:

-First 2 photos are from the south, with Raymond Peak in view. In photo #1 you are about 1 mile in on the PCT, coming from the Ebbetts Pass TH., and you can see a small corner of Upper Kinney Lake. The Kinney Lakes are nice, set in the forest, in the last of the granitic bedrock.

-Russ' very nice Photo #3 is looking up at the east side of Reynolds Peak, the high point being just right of the big pinnacle.

-The following photos of the pinkish rock, which I wish one of our geology professors- Bill or John, would explain for us, are taken from the east, looking up the slopes that lead to the ridge, just north of Reynolds. This fascinating rock appears here and there in other parts of the area. As Bill points out, this is a volcanic zone, and the main geologic formations are of pyroclastic debris welded together. There was a lot of buff-colored rhyolite, (aka volcanic tuff) and I suspect that the pinkish rock is another form of fused ash-fall material. "Volcanoclastic," "Pyroclastic," "welded tuff-volcanic tuff-rhyolite...?"
The dominant rock formation is a conglomerate of sorts, composed of a variety of volcanic rock from solid ash, to pumice, to basalt. to bits of obsidian.

Please Bill or John, help us sort this out. What do we call that rock type? Thanks, Ian.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

From what I can see, they are volcanic tuffs. More detailed names would depend on the size of the ejected material that makes them up. For examples, see: http://www.sandatlas.org/tuff/