Seeking advice: Cottonwood Meadows -> Onion Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
xiainx
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Seeking advice: Cottonwood Meadows -> Onion Valley

Post by xiainx »

Hi, next week I'm planning to hike from Cottonwood Meadows to Onion Valley, climbing Mt Langley, Mt Muir, and Mt Whitney along the way. Does anyone have any advice for other places I should try to visit? Any good lakes (either beautiful, or good fishing) or short side trips along the trail on that route?

Also, will the JMT north of Whitney still be super crowded? Any suggestions to avoid the hoards? And I was also wondering about the cutoff from Crabtree lakes to Trail Crest, is that worth the mileage it saves, or is it simply too much of a slog?

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Seeking advice: Cottonwood Meadows -> Onion Valley

Post by maverick »

For how many days?

For fishing: Crabtree Lakes, Wallace and Wright Lakes, Casper Lake, and creek emanating from the Thunder Mountain area draining into Casper Lake.
Any suggestions to avoid the hoards?
Stay off trail or at least camp off trail.
And I was also wondering about the cutoff from Crabtree lakes to Trail Crest, is that worth the mileage it saves, or is it simply too much of a slog?
You are referring to Discovery Pass (class 2), it is not difficult, a bit sandy, if Whitney is objective, after Crabtree Lakes, then yes, it is a good alternative, but would not skip Crabtree Lakes (second one), if fishing is a high priority.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
xiainx
Topix Acquainted

Post by xiainx »

Thank you, Maverick. We're going for 6 days. Re: Discovery Pass, okay, sounds like (depending on timing), I may go for it. The 11 miles around doesn't sound too exciting, fishing is not super high priority, just something to pass the time.

I can't find Casper Lake on the Map :-P
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I can't find Casper Lake on the Map :-P
No an official name, lake is dead center, in the crosshairs. :) HST Map

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The name "Casper Lake" shows up on Google Earth. I guess someone thinks the lake looks like a ghost (Casper the Ghost).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The name "Casper Lake" shows up on Google Earth. I guess someone thinks the lake.
Yes, it does, by the person who posted the picture link to it, but it is not the official name of the lake. :)

Sierra_Summits
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra_Summits »

Wales lake is awesome! great high sierra scenery. It's in the wright or wallace lake drainage. Also, big horn plateau would be a cool place to camp and there is a little lake out on the edge of the plateau for water.
"Heaven is here on Earth!"

--Bob Marley
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

All the travel and climbing you have planned for only six days may not leave much left for fishing and exploring the upper drainages. Personally, I would do half that area and spend more time in each location. A few weeks ago I was able to get a first-come exit permit out to Whitney Portal. After Labor Day in the past I have obtained first-come entry permits from Whitney Portal too. A lot of people cancel.

It is about half day's travel from the east side (Crabtree, Wallace and Wrights) to the west side of the upper Kern (Milestone and north). If you want to hit both sides and go north and south as far as you plan, you need more than six days. Have you done the map work and calculated the mileage and estimated times to accomplish your goals?
emo53
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by emo53 »

We spent 6 days roaming around Cottonwood Lakes area. Best part of the trip was the Miter Basin, which you can access via a use trail from Soldier Lake. If you are comfortable off trail, there appears to be a way to get to Crabtree pass from the Miter Basin. I found a route marked on Caltopo website.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

emo53 wrote:We spent 6 days roaming around Cottonwood Lakes area. Best part of the trip was the Miter Basin, which you can access via a use trail from Soldier Lake. If you are comfortable off trail, there appears to be a way to get to Crabtree pass from the Miter Basin. I found a route marked on Caltopo website.
Did you have a chance to check out Old Army Pass while you were up there? Thinking about heading up that way instead of New Army Pass if it's clear when I head up there in a couple of weeks. Thanks in advance!