Seeking advice: Cottonwood Meadows -> Onion Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jeffm22
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Seeking advice: Cottonwood Meadows -> Onion Valley

Post by jeffm22 »

If you're going after Labor day i think you will be good on crowds, we did a chunk of the JMT last year after labor day and got the best campsites alongthe JMT (North Lake - So Lake loop).
MattL
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Seeking advice: Cottonwood Meadows -> Onion Valley

Post by MattL »

Two days ago I got back from the same starting and ending points, taking 7 days (TR coming after I can get photos loaded). I heartily agree with Wandering Daisy that 6 days doesn't leave time for anything on the side. I didn't fish, but heard reports that Lower Soldier Lake was good, Upper Soldier was not. Langley was worth doing, and only takes a couple hours round trip. I went over New Army Pass to avoid snow, but Old Army is also clear. En route I decided to skip a planned trip to Whitney to avoid the crowds, and am glad I did because weather turned bad up there the next day, and the entire area of your trip has experienced rain/hail/thunder for the last several days - I shortened my stay because of this. A quick side trip up Tawney Point was worth the time for me. If you move fast over the 6 days and have time, Center Basin would also be worthwhile after you cross Forester.