Anywhere NOT smoky?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
b_k
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Anywhere NOT smoky?

Post by b_k »

Hi folks-

With the crazy high snowpack, this summer's window has been so cruelly brief, and the crowd-free trip I'd scheduled for next week keeps getting smoked out by new fires. I'd originally planned to do Ottoway Lakes from Glacier Point Rd, ending up in Tuolumne, but GP Rd is now closed because of firefighting activity, & the Tuolumne ranger I spoke to yesterday said she had a sore throat from the smoke. I just phoned the Bridgeport ranger station, and they said that starting yesterday the smoke was pretty bad there too.

I've been obsessively browsing the Inciweb site, looking for places without fires. Can anyone recommend someplace that isn't insanely smoky?

Here's to breathing fresh air sometime before the fall rains begin.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Anywhere NOT smoky?

Post by maverick »

Give us some info, so we can recommend places accordingly: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... f=1&t=4205
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
b_k
Topix Novice

Post by b_k »

I'm not actually looking for trip/trail recommendations, just general locations where the ash might not be falling on my Tarptent all night & making me wish I was just breathing exhaust in the city instead.

That said, I'd rate a Level 3 experience (not x-country though), & I'm in the vein of trail hiking (Class 1) with a goal of lakes/big mountain scenery. I was thinking of 2-4 nights out, up to 20 miles a day.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

b-k,
I spent 9 days out of Bishop basin (8/17-26) and except for one afternoon of mildly smoky sky, it was great. I'm guessing anywhere south of Mammoth (from Duck Pass down to Bishop basin) would avoid the worst of the plumes that are engulfing Yosemite. Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Exactly, south of Mammoth, east side, if the wind directions don't change. :(

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hmmmmmmmmmm; just looked at Bishop & Williamson & Hume webcams and it looks like a lot of smoke mixed in with clouds. Maybe the winds did shift? Ugh. Well, let's see what tomorrow holds!
cg
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The smoke seems to settle into the lower elevations. If you get above 10,000 feet usually OK. You at least do not breath the smoke, but the haze makes some distant photos less that ideal. On my last trip, the smoke settled in at night, then morning with wind, dissappeared. I was at about 10,000 feet. I suspect the smoke from the fire at Wawona, may be drifting up the San Joaquin into the Mammoth area. Then entire east side from Minden to Lone Pine is hazy with smoke. Smoke is hard to predict at specific places. I would just go high, where you want to go and take your chances.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Just reported on 4 more new fires, that just started up. :derp:
Looking at the Mammoth, Lone Pine, Whitney, and SEKI webcam, it already looks bad, these fires will just add more smoke, especially since the winds will be blowing blowing in a southeast and southwest directions next week, which means even more smoke for the southern areas, but the newer fires to the north, will be making Yosemite conditions bad too.
Then there are thunderstorms starting up on Mon thru next week, which ain't going to help things.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The Farallones? :p
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Santa Catalina. :unibrow: