Taboose-Amphitheater-Dumbbell Loop (advice?)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Taboose-Amphitheater-Dumbbell Loop (advice?)

Post by EpicSteve »

Roland, Maverick and Cameron: I'd like to thank you again for your info and suggestions. It was invaluable (TR forthcoming). Cameron, I'm not sure we would've had the nerve to find our way down to Amphitheater Lake if you hadn't told me about heading north of the cornice and looking for the way down from there. The slope is VERY steep and intimidating! I was a bit spooked on the 10 - 15 feet of class 3, where we had to face in to the cliff and down climb a short chute (with a 45 lb. pack on), but we made it. The boulders along the lake shore were actually much worse than the rest of it. Tedious and exhausting and we were pelted by heavy rain in the middle of it. Guess I'd better save the rest for my TR. Thanks again!
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Steve,
Great to hear that things worked out! My buddy's last name is Swan, and he commented that it looked like a well-executed Swan dive would be the easiest way down Cataract Creek Pass, but after getting up that hillside, he was in no mood to do a repeat. And, yes, it does have that spine-tingling feel to it. Anyway, I hope things cleared up after the rain, because Amph basin is fabulous!
Cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

My buddy's last name is Swan, and he commented that it looked like a well-executed Swan dive would be the easiest way down Cataract Creek Pass
The top of the Swan dive, though with a smaller cornice (2007). :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Steve/Mav,
I'm still waiting the full cache of photos Herr Swan captured, but in the meantime, he sent a couple shots that will serve as a good comparison/contrast to the shot Mav uploaded (it was smoke-tinged when you were there, no?). These shots further highlight the dramatic differences that occur from one year to the next; but I'm pretty sure that this view is still spine tingling, regardless. Cameron
1.jpg
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

(it was smoke-tinged when you were there, no?).
Yes, it was, could just barely see the outline of the Palisades. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, having accessed DB Lakes from both north and south I prefer coming in from the south via TB-Cartridge Pass-DP- DB Lakes as Lake Basin is simply an amazing spot worthy of a day en route. Plus as others have noted Cataract Ck to DBL is nerve-wracking!