Trip Report - Little Lakes Valley to Gem Lakes 8/19/17-8/21/

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nightowl
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Report - Little Lakes Valley to Gem Lakes 8/19/17-8/21/

Post by nightowl »

First time up in this gorgeous area, was able to snag walk in permits for the solar eclipse weekend. In awe of how many gorgeous lakes can be reached with a relatively short/easy hike, and I'm sure the starting trailhead being above 10k certainly helped!

On the hike in, we passed Mack Lake (0.6 miles), Marsh Lake, Heart Lake, Box Lake (1.8 miles from TH), Long Lake (2.5 miles from TH), Chickenfoot Lake, and finally Gem Lakes (4.2 miles from TH), our destination for the weekend.
backcountrycow-03557.jpg
backcountrycow-03594.jpg
backcountrycow-03595.jpg
backcountrycow-03611.jpg
backcountrycow-03662.jpg
The next morning we headed to the four Treasure Lakes, switchbacking and scrambling up and over the rocky ridge. Overall it was less than a mile.
backcountrycow-03772.jpg
backcountrycow-03798.jpg
Loved seeing the view from on top of the ridge, we could spot so many lakes from this vantage point! We made our way to the lakes cross country, but we spotted a small trail at the bottom of the valley that follows Rock Creek, the outlet of the lakes and could be found from Chickenfoot or Long Lake.
backcountrycow-03806.jpg
backcountrycow-03827.jpg
backcountrycow-03835.jpg
Since it rained on us one of the nights, sunsets and sunrises were hard to come by, but we were lucky with a little bit of color on our final morning.
backcountrycow-04017.jpg
backcountrycow-04026.jpg
Probably the most mosquitoes I've ever had to deal with on a trip, but I guess that is to be expected heading out from a trailhead called Mosquito Flats :P

Tons of colorful wildflowers along the entire trail, and loved still seeing the large snow banks around the lakeshore up at Gem Lakes and Treasure Lakes.

Overall such a great and leisurely trip to take a first timer backpacker with stunning views the entire time.
More photos and detailed write up + map on my blog here: http://www.backcountrycow.com/blog/back ... -gem-lakes

Happy trekking!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Report - Little Lakes Valley to Gem Lakes 8/19/17-8

Post by The Other Tom »

Very nice report. I've been there a few times and enjoyed it each time. Thanks for posting
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

A pretty report from what sounds like a splendid trip. I loved my one foray into that basin but became ill before I could explore Treasure Lakes. Seeing your report makes me want to go back and finish the job! I loved camping on the north side of Chickenfoot with the views south to all the peaks, but also enjoyed a pretty little camp at Gem Lakes. It sounds like you camped at Gem?
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CAchief »

Beautiful pictures.

I initially thought this was the Gem Lake in the Emigrant Wilderness, didn't know there was another!

Thanks for sharing...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
nightowl
Topix Acquainted

Post by nightowl »

kpeter wrote:A pretty report from what sounds like a splendid trip. I loved my one foray into that basin but became ill before I could explore Treasure Lakes. Seeing your report makes me want to go back and finish the job! I loved camping on the north side of Chickenfoot with the views south to all the peaks, but also enjoyed a pretty little camp at Gem Lakes. It sounds like you camped at Gem?
Yup, we camped at the larger of the Gem Lakes, and there were lots of camp sites to choose from in that basin. Chickenfoot looked so peaceful and all those mountain peaks would have looked incredible at sunset I imagine! We loved how Treasure Lakes was a little more removed and removed from the main valley, not being marked on a map definitely thinned out the day hikers :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I initially thought this was the Gem Lake in the Emigrant Wilderness, didn't know there was another!
A wonderful place, with sub-lime scenery, very easy access, and a great intro place for youngsters or backpacking newbies alike! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice trip and beautiful photos. Whereas Little Lakes Valley is the perfect place to introduce youngsters or newbies to High Sierra backpacking, it is so beautiful that it still brings pleasure to even the most jaded veterans of High Sierra hiking. Like many "classics" of the High Sierra this place has earned its fine reputation.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular

Post by jeremiahkim »

Gorgeous. Those colors are unreal!