Sierra shoulder season 2017. Where is everyone going?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Sierra shoulder season 2017. Where is everyone going?

Post by tlsharb »

Heading into the Silver Divide from the Mammoth/Duck Lake side in mid September. Taking a couple guys with me this year who have never done a multi day backpacking trip. Should be interesting.
ts
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Annual mid-September trip to Ansel Adams Wilderness. Heading out from Silver Lake/Rush Creek TH this time to wander around the northern parts for 5 days/4 nights. No set route yet. I'd like to bag Rodgers.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

With President Trump now threatening to "shut down" the federal government when the fiscal year ends on Sept. 30 unless he gets his border wall funded, it might be prudent not to plan an outing in one of the national parks in October until you see that the new budget gets passed. Last time we had a shutdown due to partisan bickering, the national parks closed the gates. Trailheads in national forests on main roads can't be closed so they are safe.

As for me, my "shoulder season" hikes will be in the Pyranees in Spain this year. We are taking a two week trip to Europe starting Sept 19. In the Sierra, we generally switch to weekend day hikes only after mid-September, using our cabin as a base. My wife really hates camping in cold weather.

-Phil
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by neil d »

Five days in Death Valley for Thanksgiving.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

wildhiker wrote:With President Trump now threatening to "shut down" the federal government when the fiscal year ends on Sept. 30 unless he gets his border wall funded, it might be prudent not to plan an outing in one of the national parks in October until you see that the new budget gets passed. Last time we had a shutdown due to partisan bickering, the national parks closed the gates. Trailheads in national forests on main roads can't be closed so they are safe.
-Phil
The NPS will let you out if you already have a permit. Bolt cutters are an option iff they screw up (back up option which won't be needed).. Don't blame Trump; this isn't a place to discuss that anyway.
Last edited by rlown on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

neil d wrote:Five days in Death Valley for Thanksgiving.
Sounds fun!! what's on the menu? Please tell me it's not Mountain house Turkey Tetrazzini. :)
Ashery
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ashery »

Sept 17-20th will be a trip with a couple I know from out of state. Leaning towards the are around Vee lake.

Also planning on getting another trip in prior to that, but I both need to settle on an area to visit and do some much needed gear shopping. Shoes need to be replaced and I need to start actively working on a solution to my poor sleeping.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Hiking up Pine creek 2nd week of Sept to finally fish the last of the three notable big GT lakes. Going full base camp route on this trip: real tent, real sleeping bag, real clothes, real stove, real frying pan, etc. Late(r) season isn't so much the cold, but the shorter days, so you need a 'place to be' if you're not walking all day long.

The Czech hiker Andy & I befriended last year is flying out to LAX the day before I drive up, so he's coming along for a few days until he resumes his JMT hike. For those that didn't see the original TR, he had to bail @ Kearsarge:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... =1&t=14472
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

rlown wrote:
neil d wrote:Five days in Death Valley for Thanksgiving.
Sounds fun!! what's on the menu? Please tell me it's not Mountain house Turkey Tetrazzini. :)
Ha! Apparently Furnace Creek puts out a spread. Should be an interesting sociological experience.

...although next to beef stroganoff, turkey tet is my favorite of the MH meals.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Going back to Emigrant Wilderness for 5 nights to see all the granite ramps that I couldn't see from the smoke from the 2013 fire above Cherry Lake.
Jeff