Sierra shoulder season 2017. Where is everyone going?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Sierra shoulder season 2017. Where is everyone going?

Post by Lumbergh21 »

rlown wrote:
Lumbergh21 wrote:Trinity Alps. It's much closer, and my vacation time is shot for the year.
A nice area as well. Wear the orange..
Well, not so nice this year as it turns out. Lots of fires and smoke. Plan B: weekend hike(s) up at Lassen National Park. I'll have to see what's involved in getting an overnight permit there.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Check the smoke before going to the Trinity Alps. Horrible right now.

Have a 10-day trip in SEKI planned, but it will also depend on smoke and skeets. Not going until after the 10th of Sept, due to many other obligations. Add the shorter days and fall storms to the skeets and smoke and things look a bit uncertain for the west side. May have to move to the east side.

First two weeks in Oct we are doing a trailer trip to Great Basin NP, Arches, San Juans in Colorado, Grand Canyon, perhaps Zion and back. Hope to see the Aspen in fall colors, as well as visit family on the way and do a bit of day-hiking.

I hope to get a trip to Marble Mountains six days in late Oct, if weather holds. I have been in the Trinity Alps in late Oct and the fall colors were fabulous!
I had a nice hike up to Sapphire and Emerald Lakes last fall and the colors were very nice as was the lack of people.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote:... trailer trip to Great Basin NP...
Even if the Wheeler Peak Campground is closed at Great Basin NP, drive up there and hike around in it. It is one of the highest and most spectacular campgrounds I've visited.