TR Kearsarge to Whitney Portal-Upper Kern 8/10-18

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Broot
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR Kearsarge to Whitney Portal-Upper Kern 8/10-18

Post by Broot »

You must have barely missed my brother and I the first few days. We were camped at south america the night of the 12, jordan lake the night of the 13, and colby lake the 14, then wallace for the 15-16. We saw those two guys head north past south america earlier that day.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Your trip report sounds so relaxed and fun. How many times have you been out this season, and I am still waiting to start my first trip???
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Oh my! You are right. I got the starting date wrong - My first day was 8/8, not 8/10. I was at Lake South America 8/10.

Here are the correct dates: Day1 8/8; Day2 8/9; Day3 8/10; Day4 8/11, Day5 8/12, Day6 8/13, Day7 8/14, Day8 8/15, Day9 8/16, Day10 8/17, Day11 8/18

Shhsgirl- this is my xixth trip since May 1. Usually I have more by now, but we did a 2-week road trip to Olympic National Park and Oregon cosast while waiting for the Sierra snow to melt. This is my first long trip of the season- all others being a week or less. I hope September weather holds, because I have two more trips planned out of Roads End in SEKI. I have put these off because that area has more mosquitoes. Doing a short trip out of Sonora Pass this Friday provided smoke conditions are not too bad. Air here in Sacramento is horrible; I need to get up out of this toxic soup.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Wandering Daisy wrote:this is my xixth trip since May 1. Usually I have more by now, but we did a 2-week road trip to Olympic National Park and Oregon cosast while waiting for the Sierra snow to melt. This is my first long trip of the season- all others being a week or less. I hope September weather holds, because I have two more trips planned out of Roads End in SEKI. I have put these off because that area has more mosquitoes. Doing a short trip out of Sonora Pass this Friday provided smoke conditions are not too bad. Air here in Sacramento is horrible; I need to get up out of this toxic soup.
I'd guess that's 6th instead of 19th and with 6 trips done already, including this 11day epic, that is a great season so far. Add to that your trips planned out of Road's End and Sonora Pass...It is inspiring to see you getting out that much. Nicely done and planned! I am envious, to say the least. For now I must content myself with getting out vicariously through the various reports here, and thinking along the lines of sports teams (such as the Giants and A's) having lousy seasons "Maybe next year".
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

The Upper Kern is on of my favorite places so I really enjoyed your report and photos. On one trip, after going over Harrison Pass, I wandered around for a couple of days to many of the same locations. I camped at “Casper” lake and wished I could have spent more than one night. It’s also where I had my last backcountry bear encounter when I was sitting writing and this younger male wandered into my campsite oblivious to my presence, went down to the lake to get a drink, and then took off running when I finally yelled. I’m hoping to get back to the Upper Kern and Milestone Basin one more time, but if I don’t, I’ll still have your wonderful report to add to my memories.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

Daisy,
I'm planning to hike from Onion Valley to Center Basin, overnight, climb University Peak via the south slope, overnight either at Center Basin or Charlotte Lake, and hike out the next day. There's a bear box listed at Center Basin, and I was wondering if you had any info on whether it's still there. Also, were there a lot of folks staying at Center Basin? I actually like having folks around (safer for a solo hiker), but of course if there are too many people then the bear box might be full. I want to leave my bear can in the car if at all possible. :)

Thanks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did not go to Center Basin on this trip. The trail junction to Center Basin is easy to miss and the trail itself is not in great shape. I was there a few years ago, and did not notice a bear box, but then, I was not looking for one anyway, since I had my bear can. On that trip I camped at Golden Bear Lake, northeast shore. I do not know anything about the unnamed lake to the north. You could look at Google Earth and see if there are places to camp. The "meadow" north of Golden Bear Lake is basically a swamp. Not many backpackers go into Center Basin so do not expect others. I had no bear problems when I was there. There are nice established campsites down on Bubbs Creek. It is about a mile and 600 feet up to the bench that contains Golden Bear Lake and the unnamed lake to the north. If you can add about an hour to the approach, camping down at Bubbs Creek would be a place where there are likely other campers.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks for the write-up of your trip. I enjoyed reading it. What a beautiful trip! I've been off trail to Lake South America from Shepherd Pass. It's really a nice route, as you say. We didn't encounter a use trail then but maybe there is one now. We dropped from the lake on the Kern River Trail and down into Kern Canyon passed many lovely streams and ponds. The talus field you encountered on your way to Wallace Lake: we also decided to hike that (if that's what you were describing, unsure) on our way from Wallace Lake to the meadows of lower Wrights Lake Basin and Rockwell Pass and didn't expect the talus. We had to hustle on the car-sized boulders due to thunder-snow fast approaching (no fun at the time). Rockwell Pass had no snow when we crossed it south to north. Such a beautiful area. I remember there were a lot of howling coyotes. Glad you had a good trip and that you were able to get a permit for the Whitney zone.
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I did not go to Center Basin on this trip. The trail junction to Center Basin is easy to miss and the trail itself is not in great shape. I was there a few years ago, and did not notice a bear box, but then, I was not looking for one anyway, since I had my bear can. On that trip I camped at Golden Bear Lake, northeast shore. I do not know anything about the unnamed lake to the north. You could look at Google Earth and see if there are places to camp. The "meadow" north of Golden Bear Lake is basically a swamp. Not many backpackers go into Center Basin so do not expect others. I had no bear problems when I was there. There are nice established campsites down on Bubbs Creek. It is about a mile and 600 feet up to the bench that contains Golden Bear Lake and the unnamed lake to the north. If you can add about an hour to the approach, camping down at Bubbs Creek would be a place where there are likely other campers.
Thanks for the info! Well, I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm gonna pass on University Peak because the South Slope doesn't sound as straightforward as I thought, and any other route carries the risk of my straying into Class 3/4 territory. I'd give it a shot if I had company, but alone it's a different story. Thanks again!
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Franklin, there is a bear box at the JMT/Center Basin Trail junction, but no box in Center Basin itself to my knowledge. I was there last summer.

Mike