Sabrina basin / Fishgut lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Sabrina basin / Fishgut lakes

Post by overheadx2 »

Headed up to Sabrina Basin with plans on hitting either baboon lakes and or fish gut lakes. May do both, but wanted to explore fishgut lakes and the surrounding area. Last year I did the north trail to sailer et al and wanted to check out the other areas. We'll be fishing. Any suggestions or preferences on fishing those ares or best camping area.
Also, any bug report from last weekend? Thanks, Phil
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sabrina basin / Fishgut lakes

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cycleboy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cycleboy »

My wife and I stayed at Lower Baboon last August. Fishing was steady for small rainbows and brookies. The other Baboon lakes about the same. Hiked up to Sunset one day and it was gorgeous. Didn't stay too long due to pending weather but did catch and release a few fish in 5-10 min. I've done the Dingleberry side in years past and had good fishing in most places.

Camping - Baboon has a number of good spots. We stayed close to the beach at Lower Baboon. In the middle of the sections of Upper, there are several nice looking spots.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I thought Fishgut Lakes, Bottleneck and Schoeber Lakes (middle Shoeber- no luck fly fishing upper, but maybe the fish stay deep) had the best balance of good fishing and solitude and scenery. Here are some photos. Photobucket has cut me off so there are no photos in that trip report that Maverick cited. It is s bit tricky getting up there as you have to get past a cliff.

Fishing was also fair in Baboon Lakes. I walked up to Sunlight Lake - very scenic but too windy to fly fish when I was there. There are small fish in the small ponds between Baboon Lakes and Sunlight Lakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Correction- that is Sunset Lake, NOT Sunlight Lake that is above Baboon Lakes.
Alpinista55
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Alpinista55 »

Just posted a Sabrina Basin TR that included Bottleneck and Fishgut Lakes:

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =1&t=16687