TR Mineral King Loop - Franklin to Timber via Kaweah Gap

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR Mineral King Loop - Franklin Pass - Kaweah Gap 8/1-8/

Post by maverick »

The only decent rain, after the Thursday, was on Sat evening, but it was threatening, starting early, every day. Owens had thunderheads lined up all along the length Inyo Mountains and the Sierra Crest, even got rained on while driving home on Sunday before the 395/120 junction, which was nice, 93 F in Bishop, down to 65 F near Mammoth. :nod:

PS Love the photos, especially the views from FLL looking towards the Kaweah Ridgeline. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Congratulations on such a fine long trip. How fortunate that the weather held for you, and that you got to complete the dreamed of trip. Thanks for the detailed and informative post kpeter.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
HikingEagle
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by HikingEagle »

Great report! I covered a lot of the same ground this June, and was amazing to see photos of lake 10410 and the like that were completely buried in snow earlier this season.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

kpeter, I think you outdid yourself on those pictures. They are fantastic! I really liked the one of your tent at Franklin Lake. That's an incredible campsite. Makes me want to walk into the picture. And the Reflections at Lake 10410. That one is also amazing. Just looking at that picture makes me feel like I am standing by the lake. I can almost feel the breeze coming off the lake. :) It's so lush and green this year and the flowers. You picked a great time to go. Wish I was on that trail right now. Glad you had a great trip.
mello
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mello »

Thanks for the great report and photos!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Ditto what others have said, terrific TR ! Thanks for posting it up.

PS. Glad to know your car didn't get chewed up. ;)
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

maverick wrote:PS Love the photos, especially the views from FLL looking towards the Kaweah Ridgeline. :nod:
That was a special moment. Here are a couple more:
DSC02198-1.jpg
DSC02200-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zenobe
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by zenobe »

Great trip report, thanks so much for taking the time to write it. Our group will be doing nearly the same loop between August 14 to 19, so your information was extremely helpful to me in the planning process. I'm surprised how much snow is still up there! Beautiful photos too.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Amazing photos and a great trip report! I truly enjoyed reading it!

Next time you stay in Visalia, prior to a backpacking/hiking trip, you should stay at our Airbnb. We have lots of guests that are on their way to or from Sequoia & Kings Canyon Natl Parks. The couple you met near Little 5 Lakes, that were from Michigan sounds like the couple that had just stayed in our Airbnb.

William
Living On Kaweah Time
rhyang
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by rhyang »

Gorgeous photos and great narrative !