Trip Advice: Fish Creek, John Muir Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Pietro257
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Advice: Fish Creek, John Muir Wilderness

Post by Pietro257 »

I have a permit to hike next week from the Fish Creek trailhead near Devils Postpile south to Fish Creek and on to Iva Bell Hot Springs in the John Muir Wilderness.

I've been to Iva Bell Hot Springs twice before (1975 and 1980) so the territory isn't new to me. I just wonder if anybody has been down there in this historic snow year and can give some advice:

1. How bad are the creek crossings?

2. I'm not sure we can make it (party of 8) in one day to Iva Bell Hot Springs (12 miles). Does anyone know of good camping spots along Fish Creek or Sharktooth Creek? A guidebook I have says there are good spots south of Island Crossing, but I'd like to go further upstream if I can.

3. Are Lost Keys Lakes worth a visit? They look to be off the beaten track, which might be welcome, as Iva Belle Hot Springs can be crowded, I know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trip Advice: Fish Creek, John Muir Wilderness

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I'm interested too, as I plan to be at Iva Belle on August 15th myself. Unfortunately, I have no answers to your questions other than I also read that Island Crossing has some camp sites.
Pietro257
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Pietro257 »

BUMP!

No advice? Nobody's been in this area?

Lumbergh, I'll probably get to Iva Belle on the 16th. Maybe we'll meet.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I'm pretty sure I recall some posts on Topix to the Fish Creek area within the last year or so, but I'll offer some snippets. I've been to Lost Keys, but it was on a dayhike from a base camp further upstream at Grassy Lake in the mid 90s. I don't know that Lost Keys are any more off the beaten path than some of the other cul-de-sac basins on the south side of Fish Creek. They are certainly less crowded than destinations along the main trail, but the same can be said for some of the other side basins. The Lost Keys are not exceptional in terms of their appearance. They are lakes with wooded shorelines and they don't have memorable cliff walls above them, in contrast to some of the other basins, including the one with the big lakes: the basin that houses Peter Pande, Anne, and Olive Lakes. That is somewhat more alpine country. Wilbur May is on the main trail and its pretty nice, too.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;