TR: Red Mountain Basin 7/26-7/30

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Red Mountain Basin 7/26-7/30

Post by cslaght »

Good evening everyone,

This year marks the fifth annual year of my trips into the Sierras with my Dad. There were a couple of deviations to our "normal" routine this year. We went a little later in the year (partly because of conditions, partly because of necessity). With school starting on the 14th, let's see if I can recover in time, eh? Anyways, this trip I've been looking for all year as it was in an area I've never been. This was the first time I would be down Dinkey Creek Rd, so there was a little excitement (embarrassing, I know). We decided to do 5 days this time, trying a new tactic. We would have "shoulder days" going in and out to acclimate and not beat ourselves up. It seemed to work, as the first day we made it to the junction mid afternoon after a late start, and on the way out we had about 5 miles and was at the truck at 9:30 AM, not bad for "rest days".

Day One, we started at Maxson TH and ended up camping at the junction that splits from Red Mountain Basin and Blackcap Basin. Day two, we made our climb to Disappointment Lake. I must say, this was a great area, right at tree line and we camped by the outlet, with a great overlook to the west. A wonderful area where we spent two nights there. Day three, we did a quick hike to Hell For Sure Pass, which was pretty awesome, still a bit of snow up there, but nothing that will complicate navigation. On the way back to camp, we did a little cross country travel (one of the purposes of this trip). Day four we started the descent back and camped at long meadow for a pretty relaxing afternoon and evening (and actually making a fire!). Day five was pretty uneventful getting over the last little hump and into Courtright.

Some takeaways from this trip are as follows:
I wasn't in the best shape, but still felt really good about the hiking. I feel like I'm starting to dial in my packing and hiking at this point. Even though we didn't really push ourselves, this type of trip would have been unimaginable a few years ago.
I like cross country travel, and I want to start really exploring some of the more remote areas of the Sierras. I'm thinking next year we will venture into the Miter Basin.
We mixed forest and Alpine camping this trip, I must say it is kind of nice to have the variety.

Enjoy the pics!

ImageDSC_1649 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
Long Meadow with the sky putting on a bit of a show.

ImageDSC_1663 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1725 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
Looking over Hell For Sure from the ridge at 9400 ft a few miles to the west

ImageDSC_1733 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
Flemming Lake

ImageDSC_1743 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1776 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1785 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
Sunset looking into the upper reaches of the Red Mountain Basin

ImageDSC_1794 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1810 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1830 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
Hell For Sure Lake

ImageDSC_1843 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
Top of the Pass!

ImageDSC_1849 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
Goddard is such a beautiful mountain *EDIT* This is McGee, isn't it?

ImageDSC_1857 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
Still a lot of snow

ImageDSC_1881 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
"I feel so epic"

ImageDSC_1889 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1904 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
Surely not a disappointment

ImageDSC_1925 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1961 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1967 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr
Mt Hutton and Co. After dusk

ImageDSC_1982 by Charles Slaght, on Flickr

I like doing night shots, but this time the conditions weren't so good for my skill level. The moon was giving off quite a bit of light. Still absolutely beautiful.
I have more photos on the flickr where these are loaded from. Happy trails everyone!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Red Mountain Basin 7/26-7/30

Post by rightstar76 »

cslaght wrote:Surely not a disappointment
Agree. I really enjoyed your TR and pictures. Very eloquent. The photo looking west over Disappointment says it all. It really shows the beauty of that area. Also, the picture of Hell For Sure Lake with the reflection. Wow! Epic. Glad you and your father had a good time.
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

This will be the first year in 5 that I won't be in RMB. Love that place. Your pics are a really good look at the basin. That view from the top of Hell for Sure is one of the best anywhere (and yes, that is McGee).
ts
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for posting the report and photos. It has been 40 years (almost to the day!) since I was in that basin, and it is nice to be reminded of how attractive it is.
-Phil
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

Thank you for the kind words guys, much appreciated! I've always had an interest in this area because of the SEKI Park Visitor Map had Hell For Sure on it and the name always drew my curiosity. Bill Finch's reports on SekiHiker rekindled an interest in this area and I will be forever thankful for his reports and the eventual finding of this website. It is a really awesome area, the Sierras just keep giving!

Charles
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the report, especially the great photos. I haven't been in the Red Mountain Basin in a few years. I routinely recommend it as a great destination for folks who email me and ask me where to go. I may have to return this year or next. I've always thought it is one of the finest destinations in the range.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CAchief »

Thanks for sharing! I'm thinking of a similar trip next month. Great tip about camping at the disappointment lake.

Did you see many other hikers out there?

Is the Maxson TH the one in the voyager rock campground? Last year my family and camped at Voyager and hiked to Hobbler Lake. I wasn't sure if this was the Maxson TH. Google maps indicates i the TH right near the dam...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Really nice. One of our favorite areas. Gotta get back there.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

SekiHiker: Keep up the good work, it really is a cool place.
CAchief wrote:Did you see many other hikers out there?

Is the Maxson TH the one in the voyager rock campground? Last year my family and camped at Voyager and hiked to Hobbler Lake. I wasn't sure if this was the Maxson TH. Google maps indicates i the TH right near the dam...
There were a few groups up there, but it wasn't too bad, not hard at all to find solitude.

As for the trailhead, the parking lot is right where the Dusy/Ershim 4WD road starts, so it's really close to the dam. You actually hike the road a bit before the trail starts. This is the way to Hobbler lake. We didn't go directly to it, though my dad and I discussed it as a side trip.

Charles
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CAchief »

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk