TR: Rae Lakes area 7/27

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RodofJ
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Rae Lakes area 7/27

Post by RodofJ »

I drove up on Thursday without a permit; I wasn't really sure what would be available so I didn't really plan much. I ended up getting a permit for Kearsarge pass for Thursday. I went to Charlotte and Rae Lakes, then Sixty Lake basin, and then Kearsarge lakes. I didn't do a great job planning my days; kind of tended to make them too short or too long. It was a bit buggy in places, and I was planning of fishing in Sixty Lake, only to find out that the fish have mostly/completely been eradicated:)

The weather was great and the water/snow were really different than I'm used to - made for a great change of scenery and a little hiking variety without any difficulty. The lake just south of Glenn Pass, I think, was partially frozen and absolutely beautiful; I took like forty pictures and not one of them came out even close to how it really looked!

Left Onion Valley Thursday afternoon and stayed at Charlotte Lake. Friday morning:
CharlotteII.JPG
On to Rae Lakes on Friday:
Rae.JPG
RaeIII.JPG
Saturday into sixty lake basin:
SixtyLake.JPG
SixtyLakeIII.JPG
then over Glenn Pass to Kearsarge Lakes:
GlennPass.JPG
Sunday back to the car; looking back at Kearsarge:
KearsargeII.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR: Rae Lakes area 7/27

Post by gary c. »

Still hard to believe all that snow at the end of July. Thanks for the report.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

In our fishing forum there is a list of lakes that have been gill netted, including some scheduled to be gill netted. Reviewing that may prevent other trips where you plan to fish only to find barren lakes. There is also good data on the Ca F&G website.
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by KevinDo »

Wow still some snow! Thanks for sharing, photos were great

-Kevin