TR: Pine Creek Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Pine Creek Loop

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My flies do not float for long, so I guess you could say I used "wet" flies. I let them sink a lot.

The Golden trout were spawning in several of the lakes. Is it true that the fish are not interested in eating when they spawn? Or is that just for salmon?

The fish (brookies and rainbow) in Chalfant Lakes would bite, but they were small. Lots of new baby fish. How much do they grow over the season? Would a 4 inch fish become a 10 inch fish by late fall?
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Ordered this 36" diameter umbrella hat a year ago. Cheap and functional:

https://www.amazon.com/Luwint-Diameter- ... ref=sr_1_1

Wore it a few times during during the winter while raining including on a 5 mile or so Big Basin SP hike. It frees up my need to hand carry my camera on its tripod. Also intend to wear it as a sun hat if I do Shepherd Pass after returning from Oregon for the eclipse. Note the top is reflective silver so also has purpose as a signalling device. After climbing up to Mahogany Flat will stash it in bushes trail side. Of course not too useful in windy conditions as gusts jerk one's head about but then neither are conventional umbrellas.

David

PS Ask your husband WD about dry fly dope. A drowned dry fly being dragged below a clear float just below the surface will tend to attract smaller younger still stupid trout, especially eastern brook trout, while larger, older, wiser trout are more likely to just trail behind a bit checking it out. On the other hand, a properly floating #16 Adams will interest a lot more trout. That noted, actual wet flies like a woolly bugger are larger and if retrieved convincingly can interest large trout.
nordiclars
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by nordiclars »

Hi Daisy,
Thanks for your trip report. It was really interesting and helpful since we are headed out that way next week! From your description it seemed like your nighttime temps were around freezing. Trying to figure out which bag to use. How cold was it at night up there? - Eric
jdille
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jdille »

I always love reading your trip reports and seeing your beautiful photos WD. Thank you for posting them! There is still so much snow. Wow.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I'm no expert, but given the stunted growth of fish in those lakes due to the large number relative to the food supply, I can't imagine they grow much in a year. My experience with rainbow trout (fishing creeks with my grandfather when I was a kid) is that they basically don't feed while spawning. Good to hear about Italy Pass as I am hoping to be crossing it in 3 weeks.
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jeremiahkim »

Thanks for sharing the write up, along with the fantastic photos (Granite Peak at sunrise!). Really is amazing how much ice and snow are still up there.

Also, great notes from SSSdave. Love the wealth of knowledge in this community!