Sawmill -> Pinchot -> Taboose 7/2017

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Sawmill -> Pinchot -> Taboose 7/2017

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The reason I like off trail is that I get bored just walking down a trail. I actaully like the mental challenge of navigating. And, the older I get, the better I like off trail, because the terrain forces me to slow down, which is less stressful on my feet and knees. When I am on a trail I tend to go too fast and too far and by the end of the day, Iam beat up (like stupidly walking out 21 miles from Nine Lakes Basin to Crescent Meadow).

Great scenery is always a goal of mine. If it happens to be in a crowded, so be it. It has a lot to do with expectations. I do not expect a wilderness experience in Yosemite Valley or on the JMT. I accept the crowds and focus on the scenery. I can usually find a campsite, off the trails that do have some solitude; but on the trail, I expect to see people. On the other hand, if I go to a remote place and expect solitude, and a large group is there, I am disappointed. But the remote place has to also be scenic. I have never been one to seek out solitude for solitude' sake alone. You certainly can get solitude in an ugly place that nobody wants to go to!

Some people are goal oriented point-to-point backpackers; others are explorers who prefer to sneek around in every nook and cranny; others are activity oriented (such as photography); others are social oriented (these actually like the crowds!). A lot of us do all four styles, on different trips. Find your style, find your route, and hike your own hike.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Sawmill -> Pinchot -> Taboose 7/2017

Post by Hobbes »

With the caveat that any subjective ranking is subject to personal opinion, I do think that a general consensus of the most beautiful and recognized regions in the Sierra can be reached. Here's my list - feel free to agree, dispute, subtract and/or add. Only the first location is ranked - for obvious reasons - while the others are merely listed north to south, and are judged (by me) to be of equal value:

#1 Yosemite valley
- Minarets
- Evolution canyon/valley
- LeConte/Palisades lakes
- Upper basin/Pinchot
- Rae lakes/Vidette
- Crabtree/Miter

The most obvious characteristics, other than for the Valley, is they are all strung along the highest ridgelines among the eastern crest, with the greatest prominence and largest meadows. Yes, the JMT (+ Miter).

Of course, you can search high & low for alternatives, but at the end of the day, it's like looking for a city comparable to SF, NYC and/or Paris. "Second cities" may appeal to some, but in the final analysis, only the top shelf locations will do. Likewise the Sierra.

Now, with respect to trail zombiefication, that's why I favor early season travel. Again, IMO, the ranking of degree of difficulty (only hiking here, not peak bagging or other extreme variations) is:

- snow
- x-c
- trail

At a certain cross-over point - repeat, completely subjective - a mix of snow & trail will equate (from a mental & physical exhaustion perspective) to standard x-c travel eg the Sierra high route under *dry* conditions. Add more snow, and the difficulty factor begins to really increase. Take away the snow, and trail boredom begins to become more prevalent.

As Daisy so apply states, "hike your own hike". I know for me personally, I'm sort of done seeking out remote, hidden gems. AFAIK, the original is the 'best' (whatever that means), but to add a little flavor, and avoid the crowds, then early season travel is the ticket. Maybe it's putting the horse in front of the cart, but it so happens to coincide with the absolute worst SoCal weather: May & June. So, maybe I'm an advocate because where I live by the beach, it's dark, gloomy & foggy during those spring months.

Still, for anyone who is seeking big vistas, challenging conditions and a real sense of personal satisfaction, then early season travel along the main spine of the High Sierra is where it's at.