Dusy Basin – Lost Camera – July 28, 2017 – Reward Offered

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Velostein
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Dusy Basin – Lost Camera – July 28, 2017 – Reward Offered

Post by Velostein »

I am offering a reward for the return of a Sony camera or at least its memory stick which was lost in the Dusy Basin on July 28, 2017. This is a silver Sony 7.2 Megapixel point and shoot camera which contains photographs from a North Lake-South Lake loop trip that my daughter and I completed on the 28th. This was a “dad and daughter” adventure that was the trip of a lifetime and I am sick about the loss of the camera which I believe I inadvertently failed to pack while leaving our camp spot distracted by mosquitoes. As best as I can describe it the camp spot is approximately halfway between Bishop Pass and the top of the switchbacks coming into Dusy. It is approximately 200 feet east of the main trail off of a clearly discernible spur trail leading to a flat spot adjacent to the main creek draining the Basin. The spot is at an elevation of approximately 11,680 feet. I reported the loss at the White Mountain ranger station in Bishop. If you find this camera, I would be very grateful to hear from you. Thank you!
LonePine
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Dusy Basin – Lost Camera – July 28, 2017 – Reward Offere

Post by LonePine »

Don't give up hope. I found a camera 2 years ago, a Canon point and shoot lying in the open between Wales and Wallace lakes. It was in it's protective case and the battery was still charged. Turns out it had spent a year there in that place, covered in snow over the winter but it still looked like new. I brought it home and called the Lone Pine ranger station. Got the phone number of someone who reported losing a camera the year before. I called her - yes it was her camera - and mailed it back to her.

Walt
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

LonePine wrote:Don't give up hope. I found a camera 2 years ago, a Canon point and shoot lying in the open between Wales and Wallace lakes. It was in it's protective case and the battery was still charged. Turns out it had spent a year there in that place, covered in snow over the winter but it still looked like new. I brought it home and called the Lone Pine ranger station. Got the phone number of someone who reported losing a camera the year before. I called her - yes it was her camera - and mailed it back to her.

Walt
kudos!! on the recovery and return.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

If you aren't already doing so, consider filling out a page with your contact information (email, phone number). Take a picture of that page and leave that picture always on your camera (or cell phone, etc.). That way if someone finds your lost electronic device they can look at the pics on it and find out how to contact you to return it.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I have one of those as pic #1 in my camera. It's a good Idea. I also sharpie my phone number on the side of the camera.
LonePine
Topix Acquainted

Post by LonePine »

If you love photography the thought of loosing your photos is what motivated me to trace down the owner. I didn't turn it in at Lone Pine for that reason - wanted to make sure those memories were not lost. Just the sound of her voice when I told her was my reward.