How many miles are you comfortable pushing yourself to do?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: How many miles are you comfortable pushing yourself to d

Post by Ashery »

mrphil wrote:<Snip.>
Yes and no.

I feel safe in saying that we agree on the point that folks should listen to their bodies. The problem, however, is that in my particular outlying case, listening to my body means undereating. One day I was on pace to have my normal four meals (My last was my third a little after midday) and ended the day feeling a bit crappy and miserable, and on the next I wound up covering over twice the distance despite only having ~700 calories at breakfast and aborting any later meals in the day after nausea kicked in when I had a ginger chew late in the morning. It's not a tactic that'd be sustainable over longer trips like the PCT, but it's what I have to do to make the most of my week out.

While it's possible that altitude and water intake contribute to my issues, I've had identical issues in the past when I was down around 4-5k elevation and ran out of medication (Was overdue by three days) and it's rare for me to drink less than a gallon/day. Every indicator I see points to the my colitis being the root cause, and the only tool I have for addressing issues relating to that is undereating.
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mrphil »

Ashery-

I didn't at all mean to diminish the requirements of your personal situation or second guess how you've learned to take care of yourself by 'doing whatever you have to do'.

In my own situation, I can't eat breakfast early, and many would tell me that I'm wrong; "the most important meal of the day" and all that. I'll always have a couple cups of coffee, and very rarely, a few pieces of dried fruit or finishing off my partner's oatmeal. I'm "listening to my body". Breakfast at 6 or 7 nauseates me and makes me feel horrible. But after a couple/few hours of hiking, I'm again listening to my body, and my first stop of the day is for breakfast (brunch?). At that point I'm eating whatever sounds good, including whipping out the stove and making soup and raiding the dinner supply once in awhile. Lunch then puts me back to square-one; can't do it. It makes me sluggish as hell, and I would rather nap than hike. But dinner...I'm usually chowing down like a fiend..."You gonna finish that?"

All medical conditions aside, we all have personal preferences and operate on our own cycles. Metaphor #1: As with trails, we read the signs, move in that direction, get to where we need to go. Just like "hike your own hike", eat your own meal. But the point I'm trying to make is that nobody can consistently burn thousands of calories per day without replacing as many as they possibly can, consistently, religiously, whenever and however they can, and still expect to perform, work harder, feel good, or maintain their health. Metaphor #2: I hate having my car serviced and fueling up the tank, but I know that the machine will break or stop working if I don't, so I "choke it down" and do what needs to be done with at least some degree of responsible regularity. It's not even a "decision", it eventually becomes mandatory.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Agree that food is a very individual thing. Newbies need to be willing to try out a lot of different eating "methods" and gradually learn what works for them and what does not. You may be able to find a small item that works as an "appatite trigger". For me it is a cup of hot Bengle Spice tea. After that, I am more inclined to eat. Part may be just the ritual of sitting down and de-compressing with a cup of tea after a day of hiking.

And yes, over the long run, you need those calories! And it is better to have those calories as part of a balanced diet. But calories packed that you won't eat will not do you any good. I still have to learn more with regard to this. Every trip I take a few items that are theoretically good for me, but they end up in the bear can when I come home! I really need to just accept that I do not like these! If you cannot gag down stiff solid dinners, soups may work better. I ususally make dinnners with a lot of water so they are essentially thick soups.

Exhustion is an appatite killer. Like a long distance runner, you need to pace yourself so that you do not become exhusted. Or at least recover from the state of exhustion before you try to eat dinner. Figure out what is making you exhusted. Pack too heavy? Too much stop and go travel? Pushing too hard uphill? (everyone needs to learn the rest-step and rythemic breathing techniques). Heat? Dehydration? Or a travel plan that exceeds your current phsical conditioning. Let's face it; we are not always in great shape when we start a trip.
Ashery
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ashery »

Sorry if I came off as being argumentative; I can agree with 99% of what someone writes, but if I have strong feelings against that 1%, I'm going to jump in and pick apart the nuances.

My disagreement was largely centered around the "Choke it down" sentiment. And to illustrate to you how that advice came across to me, it'd be like someone saying to you "It doesn't matter how you feel after eating breakfast, you have to eat something. Even if you have to choke it down."

It's a sentiment that goes against the core idea of listening to your body.

I'm in complete agreement that undereating isn't sustainable, but, in rare cases, it can be the lesser of evils.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

A break in the trip can also help to "re-center" eating. I don't force on eating.. I eat when I feel the need. That gets better after day 3. I like a very small breakfast, then a high protein lunch; maybe some M&M's and my snack would be cheesits and peperoni. Dinner is always either trout or a freeze dried meal if I fish late.

Water and electrolytes seem to be more the need on the trail.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Shawn wrote:They said they read a report on line that piqued their interest.

Them and a few thousand others of us. :) Many of your TR's were THE early inspiration for my hikes and I've directly talked to others that have said the same.

PS. Thank you !
Thanks, Shawn! That really made my day, week, month.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

mrphil wrote:I've never seen anybody that's cranking out the miles particularly enjoying themselves, just a look of grim determination on their faces with every step they take.
A very challenging trip that comes to mind is my trip to Kaweah Basin in 1992. Although the three day trip was only 53 miles or about 17 miles/day, I enjoyed every minute of the physical and mental challenge. A few years earlier, I hiked from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney Portal (most of the John Muir Trail) in 13 days and had a ball. I had run the Boston Marathon a few years earlier in a little more than three hours and maybe that had something to do with how I felt during my hikes in the late 80's and early 90's.

The bliss that exudes from Leor Pantalat's trip reports, https://pantilat.wordpress.com/ , indicate to me that if you are in excellent condition, crazy mileage can be savored and enjoyed.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Not only that, but even though a day here or there may be brutal, it can quickly become a type 2 adventure that is relished after the fact. Sort of like raising children. It can be an extreme amount of hard work and sacrifice, but once the pain of the effort subsides, what is left are memories that last forever. I used to tell my wife that I believe there are times that can only be appreciated after the fact. I came to that conclusion after hearing so many people telling us to cherish the moment with our kids. I cherish them with all of my heart, but at the moment, it was all I could do to merely survive. At times.....
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

There are great responses in this thread! I don't have anything earth shaking to share but these work for me...

Getting your pack weight down by 10 lbs will make a big difference on how you feel during and especially at the end of the day.

Eating well, often and staying hydrated is very important. Be proactive, eat and drink before you get to that pass.

Rest for a few minutes every hour and stretch! The time you take to calmly absorb the beauty of your surroundings will add to your experience.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I do not think anyone looking at my face, as I climb a hill with a pack, can say what I am feeling. The task at hand may be grim (therefore my facial expression) but I can also be enjoying the scenery, breeze on my face, etc, at the same time. And what is "enjoyment"? Does that include pride in accomplishment, satisfaction, awe? Honestly, regardless of the miles you hike each day, I see the same "grim" faces. I think that is a natural expression of working hard. Since when is working hard not enjoyable? Particularly when that hard work pays back many times over. Personally I have a grimmer face when I have to go to some stupid social event or party which is supposed to be "fun".

Jimr- I can TOTALLY relate to that comment about raising kids! Being a grandparent is a lot easier.