Trail Suggestions Sequoia National Park Backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trail Suggestions Sequoia National Park Backpacking

Post by rlown »

Jack750 wrote:I'm planning a Boy Scout backpacking trip to Sequoia National Park Labor day weekend. Myself and other Scout Masters are not familiar with the overnight backpacking trails. We're estimating 15 to 30 scouts and adults. I'm thinking 5 to 8 mile hike one way. Does anyone have some trail route suggestions? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Hey Jack,

What kind of safety gear are you planning on bringing with you (PLB, SPOT, first aid, etc?) If you're not familiar with the overnight trails, isn't that problem #1, despite the permit issues so late to the game?

Also, what kind of training, skills do your scouts have? I've seen my Scoutmaster melt on planning and training the troop.

Regards,

Russ

Troop 482 Fairfield, CA
Jack750
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Jack750 »

First, I want to thank everyone for there input. It's pretty obvious this kind of trip with a large group in a very popular National Park is almost close impossible coordinate. That said, I think we are going to push it back to next year and do a (car camping) group site.

Thanks again for all the advice/input,

Jack
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

That is a great attitude, Jack! There is always next year. Mark your calendar for the opening date for permit submittals and plan multiple entry points if a big group. Also figure out how to split the group into multiple "teams" if you will. Let the scouts decide how they want to organize into the teams based on either experience, likes (fishing, hiking, photography, etc) Have the scouts study maps and the areas of interest, even using Google Earth to get a perspective on the terrain.

Feel free to keep asking the HST forum members for info on certain areas you might be interested in. There is a ton of wealth here on the HST..

Russ
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

How about Camp Winton BSA off 88 at the Bear river reservoir? Did that once with my troop back in the day. We even had canoes which was fun and the portage to upper bear with the canoes was a blast.

Or Camp Oljato.. Haven't been there.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

A suggestion for next year - given the group size limitations, make it two separate trips, same dates, different routes. Your scouts can plan together since the trips are same length - food, fuel, gear requirements all the same. This way, after the trips, everybody gets together and there are lots of stories for each group to tell the other. If the trailheads are not too far apart, you might even arrange a meeting on the way home - take over a restaraunt or have a big picnic.