North-South Lake Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

North-South Lake Loop

Post by riverwalker »

I am looking to walk the North to South Lake Loop in the next week or so. I will take 6-7 days to complete with a focus on photography. It has been years since I have been to Evolution area and haven't been to Humphrey's Basin. I would appreciate any advice on specific areas I should focus on throughout the loop for photography (ie. campsites, timing, side hike destinations, etc). I am fine with cross country and minor snow crossings (not bringing snow/ice gear). Also, which direction? Is there a preference?
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: North-South Lake Loop

Post by cgundersen »

riverwalker,
There were TRs last Sat/Sun that cover chunks of where you're aiming to go, so they'd be a great resource for recent conditions and to give you an idea for looping off the main trails. From my experience, I like cresting Muir Pass from the south, but either way is great. And, in addition to a hop up to Darwin Bench/Canyon, I can recommend veering off from Muir Pass (via Nietzsche col) into Ionian Basin from which you can then "escape" via Wanda Pass. Photo opportunities along the way are stunning, but those little off-trail diversions really raise the ante.
cameron
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I am looking to walk the North to South Lake Loop in the next week or so. I will take 6-7 days to complete with a focus on photography.
If photography is the true goal of your outing, then pick a section and focus on it entirely. Rarely does a day, two, or three (or not at all), give you the quality of light to make a special piece of art.

The NL to SL trail takes you thru several sections (Humphreys Basin, Piute Canyon, Evo Valley, Evo Basin, LeConte Canyon, Dusy Basin, SF Bishop Creek, to name a few) can easily be broken up into numerous week long trips, keeping you busy for months.

Go scout out locations during the day, within a section, and then go back to these locations during the golden hours to photograph them. Use TPE to know what time the suns rays will hit a certain peak or ridge line at sunrise or sunset. http://photoephemeris.com/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by riverwalker »

Thank you Cameron and Maverick.
I agree with you Maverick 100% which makes my planning such a challenge. I have limited time while I think/wish I will get back up family, work, etc usually take precedence. So I hope for some amazing light and shoot on the fly and do a lot of running around. When I go solo I can go slower and more methodical but with my buddy I am a little more limited. I hope to squeeze a layover day in at one of these points.