Where to camp high?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Where to camp high?

Post by Matthewkphx »

I'm headed into Sabrina on Labor Day on a Saturday permit and concerned I won't be able to camp at the Sabrina campground by the trailhead. I want to be sure we have a night at altitude before heading in to help my son acclimate.

We will be driving up 395 from the south. Is there another campground up high that I'm likely to get a spot at on Friday late afternoon of Labor Day weekend? I was thinking maybe Horseshoe Meadow? Is that a big campground?
squeakywheel
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Where to camp high?

Post by squeakywheel »

We always have this same problem for pre-backpack acclimatization camping. High-elevation campsites tend to be first-come first-serve, which definitely will not work if you are planning to come in on a Friday late afternoon. We often reserve at Four Jeffreys. Another option is Glacier Lodge (I think it's called), very basic cabins. More expensive option is Rock Creek Lodge.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Four Jeffreys looks like a good option at 8000' and close proximity to Sabrina. Thanks for suggesting it!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions about where to camp at elevation before entering on Saturday of Labor Day weekend?

Unfortunately, none of Squeakywheel's suggestions are available to be reserved at this point.

Here in Arizona we have tons of BLM land where dispersed camping is allowed but I don't think you can do that anywhere at altitude near Bishop...

What about sleeping in our car along the road near Sabrina? What if I stashed our bear cans 100' off the road or whatever so we didn't have food smells in the car. Would that be legal?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

You could just find out how far you need to be in from the TH and camp at that spot. I've done that out of North Lake when the campground was full. Like a 2 mile head start.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

That's a good idea, rlown. I'll look into that.

I was just looking st the White Mountains. The Grandview campground doesn't take reservations but it's only 32 minutes from Big Pine so it's not very far out of our way and is at 8600'.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

We didn't like it as we had to change clothes and immediately pack up and go, as well as my walk of shame from the parking lot to the TH. It worked out fine though. What trail are you taking at the split above Sabrina? Heading towards Blue or George?
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

We are heading towards Blue Lake and then on to Midnight/Moonlight/Echo/etc.

Sorry to be dense but I don't understand what you mean about your walk of shame to the TH. Can you clarify?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Walk of shame: Being the driver, dropping off all your stuff and friends at the TH , and then driving back to the North Lake parking lot, and then hump it back up to load up and go. (only a third of a mile but, yuck)

There is another use of walk of shame for duck hunters when your duck blind is 1.3 miles from the parking lot and someone has to walk back for more shells, but that's a different story.

If I were you and your son, I would hike to the stream crossing at about 9480' and stay above that where acceptable.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Ok. I hear you. That would address the acclimation issue. Unfortunately it would also burn a day of our permit. I'd rather sleep at altitude the night before the entry date of our permit but your solution would address the acclimation issue. Thanks!