North Lake - Lamarck Cole - Piute Pass Loop 7/21-22/17

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: South Lake - Lamarck Cole - Piute Pass Loop 7/21-22/17

Post by cloudlesssky »

ttucker9 wrote:Were there any issues driving into the campground at the trailhead?

Did you encounter any snow through Humphreys Basin? I'm doing a North to South semi-loop trip beginning August 9 and am interested in spending some time in Darwin Canyon.
The LamarckLakes/Piute Pass trail head is located in the North Lake campground (not South Lake as I originally wrote), and you can drive into the campground (say to drop off packs). However overnight trail head parking is about 1/2 mile short of the trail head next to the pack station. The parking area was about 1/2 full when I arrived on Fri morning, but when I came out Sat evening you could tell it had overflowed. I'm guessing people fishing and day hiking.

There were patches of snow on the Piute trail along the mouth of Humphreys Basin and the trail was wet a good deal of the way. I'm afraid I didn't get any good pictures though.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Lake - Lamarck Cole - Piute Pass Loop 7/21-22/17

Post by maverick »

Cool TR and pretty pic's! How were the wildflowers at Hutchison Meadow? Any good wildflower displays along the route from Colby Meadow to Humphreys yet?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: North Lake - Lamarck Cole - Piute Pass Loop 7/21-22/17

Post by cloudlesssky »

maverick wrote:Cool TR and pretty pic's! How were the wildflowers at Hutchison Meadow? Any good wildflower displays along the route from Colby Meadow to Humphreys yet?
There were quite a few wildflowers that I admired pretty much all along the way, but I didn't get any good photos. The photos I did take in Hutchison Meadow don't do it justice at all.

I did however notice a brightly colored display I'd never seen before and got a couple pics. From a distance I thought someone had left behind some plastic item in their campsite. Maybe someone can identify this?
IMG_2427.JPG
IMG_2428.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.