Camp 4 Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
madballer1981
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Camp 4 Yosemite

Post by madballer1981 »

I am trying to get a campsite at Camp 4 on the first Saturday in May. Anyone have suggestions about the best time to show up or strategy to get a campsite. Will it already be really crowded? Any help would be great.

Thanks
I love the Mountains
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Early!!! The earlier the better! I wouldn't hold my breath about getting a spot there, even if you are early; my experience is it tends to fill up Friday, but since it is before Memorial Day weekend, who knows? The Big Wall climbers camp there, and they start out early in the mornings, so they tend to get there Friday night. Just be prepared for a line Saturday morning. I believe they start doling out the campsites at 8:00 am.

If worst comes to worst, there is a snow play area outside of the valley that I have camped at a number of times; it was actually suggested by the rangers. You could use that as a backup! :nod:
Randonnee
Founding Member

Post by Randonnee »

Trekker is right on target. Get there early, it is not uncommon for the lines to start forming as early a 6:00 am!

I have also seen the opposite approach work and that is to arrive just after noon. when the rangers have already found out who has left and who is extending their stays. This works best as a back-up if you do not get a place after waiting in line in the morning.

I have always found space in Camp 4 when the rangers told me it was full by going back later.
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
mountainLight
Founding Member

Post by mountainLight »

Which snow play area are you referring to? On the badger pass side or on the north side? It sounds "unofficial" so is this in the wilderness area or something else? If you don't want to post you can send a private message.

:)
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

It's right off highway 41, the Wawona road. It's been a while since I have been there, so I'm trying to remember exactly where it was, and I can't find it on any of the maps. It's either before the Badger Pass rd (unlikely) or right before the Wawona entrance. I sort of remember a campground being nearby, so I think that would be Summerdale CG right before the park entrance. It's off on a service road. Pardon my feeble memory! :retard: A little far from the Valley, but sure beats some of the other alternatives (such as motel rooms!)
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

The snow "play" area is about a mile or so north of Fish Camp, before entering the park. I would try early at C4, you might get lucky and get a site. If not cruise around and chat with people and sometimes someone will share their site with you for a few bucks.