favorite spring trips

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jshort
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

favorite spring trips

Post by jshort »

Spring trail fever has hit hard with nice weather in S.F. Does anyone have favorite spots to go in the spring with not too much snow. :)
jshort
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Henry Coe State Park is a nice place on the spring time.
Strider
Topix Regular

Post by Strider »

Sunday I did a nice 15 mile hike in the Santa Lucia Wilderness. Parked at Cuesta Grade (HWY 101 North of San Luis Obispo) and walked along the ridge for three miles before dropping down to Upper Lopez camp. Lost the trail for awhile, and had to bust through some manzanita and poison oak. Everything is green, water in the streams, and moderate temperature this time of year.
'Hike long and perspire'
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

What area? The Sierra is a huge area. :)
jshort
Topix Newbie

Post by jshort »

I am looking at anything above 5000 feet in the national forests. I am severly allergic to poison oak and have two dogs which pretty much rules out state and national parks. If the Tioga pass road opens in May, Rock Creek has been one of my favorite, but I've never been there in spring.
jshort
mountainLight
Founding Member

Post by mountainLight »

Well if you want to get higher one place I enjoy is anything off of HWY 4 past Ebbets Pass, heading toward Markleeville. Usually the pass opens a bit earlier depending on the conditions. There is Highland Lake, Noble canyon and numerous other places that are usually pretty empty in early spring.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=38. ... &layer=DRG
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

It looks like we will be getting into the Sierra early this year. I'm going to head up Taboose Pass for a day hike on the 28th of April to check out conditions and then again on the weekend of May 5th for a 3-day trip.

I have 5 days off at Memorial Day, so I'm trying to figure out a trip for that long weekend. I think I'm leaning toward the west side of the Sierra.

Anyone have any suggestions fro a 4 or 5 day Memorial Day Sierra trip on this low-snow year?
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

KathyW wrote:I have 5 days off at Memorial Day, so I'm trying to figure out a trip for that long weekend. I think I'm leaning toward the west side of the Sierra.

Anyone have any suggestions fro a 4 or 5 day Memorial Day Sierra trip on this low-snow year?
I'm planning to go up Kibbie Ridge over Memorial Day--should be snow-free by then, and lots of different potential trips (Cherry Creek, the lakes east of Kibbie Ridge, etc.).

Or there's the Clover Meadow/Granite Creek trailhead complex, south of Yosemite. Possibilities include Sheep Crossing and the whole North Fork San Joaquin canyon.

Odds are pretty good Kaiser Pass will be open by then, which would open up Bear Creek or the South Fork San Joaquin. You could do an out-and-back up Goddard Canyon, I imagine.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

mountainLight wrote:Well if you want to get higher one place I enjoy is anything off of HWY 4 past Ebbets Pass, heading toward Markleeville.
Good suggestion. I've gone into Mokelumne from there in June in a wetter year, so I'd guess Memorial Day would be doable.

Here are snowpack data: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/current/snow/. Scroll down to the map and click on a watershed, and the snow station reports should give you a rough picture of the overall situation.
huts

Post by huts »

I would second the idea of Henry Coe Park until the subsequent post about dogs and poison oak. So I will second the Ebbets Pass idea. The area can have some spectacular wildflowers and this year they will be early! The whole Carson Iceberg Wilderness would be worth considering.

From my experience Rock Creek can be WAY busy and not a "dog friendly" area but in the spring it may be okay. Keep in mind that elevations up there at 10,000 ft may still have considerable snow.