TR: Miter Basin/Soldier Lakes/Langley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
coneill
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: Miter Basin/Soldier Lakes/Langley

Post by coneill »

A short trip report for the lollipop we just did over this last weekend. Started at Cottonwood Pass Trail head, went to lower soldier, then up and over into miter basin. Went around to upper soldier, then climb Langley, then out via the west side of army pass.

The entire route was virtually snow free, and all of the crossings were simple rock hops. Miter basin was glorious! I've never seen so many wildflowers and standing water in the basin. Sky blue lake was still about 20% covered with snow, with significant snowfield slopes preventing easy circumnavigation of the lake. Mosquitoes were about a 3 during the day at lower soldier, but basically nonexistent in miter basin in the mornings and all day. In the evenings, skeeters came out for an hour or so right at dusk.

We saw a surprising number of people on both the PCT and lower soldier lake. We had upper soldier to ourselves, and we only saw two other groups when we climbed Langley.
"You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers. But when I get home, the only thing I have power over, is the garbage." - Bob Ross

Fine art wilderness images and workshops:
http://www.coryjoneillphotography.com
KathyW
Founding Member

Re: TR: Miter Basin/Soldier Lakes/Langley

Post by KathyW »

How were the mosquitoes?
B.Kruger
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by B.Kruger »

Great to hear that Miter Basin conditions are nice. Did you use New Army Pass or Old?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thank you for the conditions report.
Miter basin was glorious! I've never seen so many wildflowers and standing water in the basin.

Now that's what I call a tease, which hopefully will be followed up with some photos, please!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
coneill
Topix Novice

Post by coneill »

Kathyw - I was glad we passed through lower soldier and didn't camp there. Even during the afternoon the buggers were out strong. Everywhere else was almost mosquitoe free until dusk. An important side note, all our clothes were soaked in premitherin, and we sprayed with naturapel in the evenings. I wore my headnet at sunset to twilight while out taking photos.

Maverick - I only shot on my DSLR, and I'm without wifi/computer until we get home mid August. I will say that the basin has never been more photogenic! I'll be sure to post a few when we get home and I have time to process them.
"You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers. But when I get home, the only thing I have power over, is the garbage." - Bob Ross

Fine art wilderness images and workshops:
http://www.coryjoneillphotography.com