Need advice for kid-friendly trip: 1,000 Island Lakes area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Need advice for kid-friendly trip: 1,000 Island Lakes area

Post by mangomegan »

My family of four (myself, hubby, daughter 10 y.o., son 7 y.o.) hope to do a trip from Agnew Meadows TH in August. We'd love some input on an itinerary that would work for our needs. Kids are pretty tough, but get complain-y if mileage is more than 5 miles per day.

We're mostly after big mountain scenery.

Shuttling in to the TH is not a concern for us, due to the fact that my husband is an amputee and is allowed to drive in and park anytime.

Thanks in advance!

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking, maybe some class 2...

What is your main interest?
- Lakes (no fishing)
- Big Mountain scenery

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?
3/4

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?
5 miles per day, maybe one layover day

Have you hiked at elevation before? Any prior issues with Altitude Sickness?
Yes, no problems

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point (which may require 2 vehicles or hitchhiking)?
Loop or lollypop, unwilling to shuttle

Have you hiked in the Sierra Nevada before, if yes, where? Please list a few of your more difficult hikes, so we can then recommend routes based on your experience level.
Kids' trips have been: Desolation Wilderness to Tamarack Lake, Emigrant Wilderness (Gianelli TH), Little Lakes Valley

Will you be hiking with a dog?
Never!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need advice for kid-friendly trip: 1,000 Island Lakes ar

Post by AlmostThere »

This will probably affect your plans, as the road is actually damaged and it is uncertain when it will open.
Devils Postpile National Monument Road Remains Closed
Alert 1 , Severity ,closure ,,Devils Postpile National Monument Road Remains Closed
The Reds Meadow Road remains closed to vehicles while crews work to repair the road. Pedestrians and bicycles are permitted but must avoid constructions areas and wait until they are cleared to travel through the construction zone.

Agnew Meadows is inaccessible by car or shuttle.... I suggest 20 Lakes Basin out of Saddlebag Lake instead. There will be patchy snow here and there but that is everywhere...
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Oh, wow--I had no idea! Thanks for the heads-up.

The 1,000 Island area is a trip we may also be able to do in September, if the road is open, so I will still welcome suggestions :)

The starkness of 20 lakes basin has never appealed to me, for some reason, but I may need to reconsider that!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I doubt the mosquitoes will have died down much by early August. If possible, late August would be better. The mosquito hatch as just began at elevations around 10-11,000 feet. Saddlebag Lake area is notoriously horrible for mosquitoes. In 2010 I camped there (as part of the High Sierra Route) early August and mosquitoes were horrible. 2010 was a high snow year, but not nearly as much as this year. I personally would never take kids to an area when mosquitoes are bad. I drove over Tioga Pass a few days ago, and it is anything but stark! It was absolutely stunning- lush and green.

I think Sabrina Basin is a great trip for kids (that is later, after the mosquitoes are down). It does get crowded but all you have to do is get away from the standard campsites. It has outstanding scenery, fair fishing (some lakes are so full of little fish that it would be a great place to teach kids to fish) and the trails are obvious. The only hard part is that the first day does involve a hearty uphill to get to Blue Lake. But after that, you can do short travel to many wonderful locations.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would also second WD's recommendation, Blue Lake is 4.6 miles from the trailhead, so it is within you 5 mile limits. You could do some day hikes from that location to Midnight, Sailor, Dingle Berry, Emerald, Baboon, and Topsy Turvy Lakes, which all will be mostly snow free by August.

Big Pine North Fork is another beautiful area, your first campsite could be at First Lake at 4.6 miles or Second Lake (one of the prettiest of all the lakes) at a little over 5 miles from the trailhead, and then do day hikes to the other lakes further up in the basin. https://youtu.be/XT6nUMr8PJY
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I would go out of Rock Creek Lake to Little Lakes Valley(Ruby Lake, Chickenfoot Lake, Heart Lake, Box Lake). You start over 10K and easy walking with plenty of Lakes all around. Mid-August would better for skeeters this year. It will be crowded but plenty to see and do. The kids will like it, it's like walking through a park.

Texan
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Well, it just so happens that Sabrina Basin was our plan for trip #2 this season! Maybe we'll head there in August instead, and see how it plays out with the Red Meadow Road. We know for sure we want to be in the backcountry for DD's 11th birthday (and solar eclipse!) on August 21. Thanks for the suggestions.

Did Little Lakes Valley last year.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Some really good kid-friendly spots out of the East Side that are even easier than Sabrina or South Lake are as follows (ie the first haul to Blue Lake may be pushing the top end for the younger one; same would be true of Long L. or such out of South Lake):
1. Hiking out of Virginia Lakes out of Bridgeport. The reason why I like this option is that potential camping spots begin only 1 mi from the trailhead and are regularly spaced, so you can pick and choose from a variety of spots at distances from 1 to 4 miles from the trailhead with fairly mellow elevation gain and wonderful scenery. This place will be easier to get a wilderness permit for than....

2. Little Lakes Valley. Similar to Virginia Lakes you start real high and the potential camping spots start at about 1 mi out and never stop. (ie endless possibilities btw 1 and 4 mi from trailhead with relatively little elevation gain) Although more popular than going out of Virginia Lakes, there is still space to get elbow room at the various lakes, especially if you simply go to the opposite side of lakes away from the trail.

3. Mammoth area. Again, this is one where you can "inch your way up" in the general direction of Duck Pass/Duck Lake. There are plenty of lakes to stop at en route starting a bit more than 1 mi in (Arrowhead L.), so like the possibilities above, you can make each day as short as needed to suit the kids.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted

Post by Pulpit »

I suggest Fern Lake out of Devil's Postpile trailhead. Pretty easy 4-ish miles with not a great deal of elevation gain. You can day hike Ashley, Anona, Holcomb Lakes, with grand views out over the range right from the trail to Holcomb. I was there in 2011 (another high snow year) the first week of September and the mosquitos were still at least a 2 out of 5 just as a heads up.

Mav also suggested NF Big Pine Creek. I would second that suggestion also. We did that a few years ago with my bro's 5yo boy and he (albeit he was a tough little cuss for a 5yo) made it with no real problem.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Pulpit wrote:I suggest Fern Lake out of Devil's Postpile trailhead.
They would have to walk all the way in -- the road is closed to traffic.