Need advice for kid-friendly trip: 1,000 Island Lakes area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Need advice for kid-friendly trip: 1,000 Island Lakes ar

Post by LMBSGV »

I’d like to second Giant Brookies Virginia Lakes suggestion. We took our son there when he was 6 years old, camping at Frog Lakes the first day, then hiking to Virginia Canyon and spending a couple of nights camped on Return Creek with a dayhike to Virginia Pass, and camping at Summit Lake the final night. It was a heavy snow year and he loved playing in the big snowfield by Summit Lake.

He also loved Sabrina Basin when we went there a couple of years later. We camped at Dingleberry Lake the first night since the mosquitoes were awful at Blue Lake, and then at Midnight for three nights with dayhikes.
Last edited by LMBSGV on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Good news! The road is re-opening Friday the 21st.

Like, wow - I totally didn't expect that. Now I have to look at my schedule again - might be able to sit in a hot spring sooner than I thought!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you can get a permit! After the closure, I bet there are but lines at the permit stations to get the first-come permits.
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by mangomegan »

That's great news about the road!

We found permits for Sabrina Basin area going in on Aug 19, so decided to do that trip first. Now to research some fun surprises to sneak in my pack for DD's birthday!

Hopefully we can get in a second trip and do the 1,000 Island area now that the road is open.

So, still after itinerary suggestions for that trip :)