TR: Twin Lakes, western Deso, 7/15/2017

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: Twin Lakes, western Deso, 7/15/2017

Post by neil d »

Just a quick TR from western Desolation this past weekend (July 14-16, 2017). We hiked into the Twin Lakes basin from Wright's Lake.

The theme of the weekend was water...running water, frozen water, and full lakes. Just gorgeous out there right now, seemingly spring-time conditions. Not much snow to walk on until around Island Lake, but lots of running water on trails. Skeeters were negligible, which was great.

Also, lots and lots of hungry brookies to about 8". Nice to hit this lake before the summer slump.

I was impressed with the quality of this destination as an overnight, given the short 3-mile walk from Wright's Lake. The outlet stream from Twin Lake required a wet wade to cross, so perhaps that kept the day hikers from the better camping areas on the peninsula, but it was quiet at night and generally serene all day on a prime weekend.

A few pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Twin Lakes, western Deso, 7/15/2017

Post by FeetFirst »

Nice! I love that area. Thanks for sharing.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Twin Lakes, western Deso, 7/15/2017

Post by Jason »

Sweet photos. My wife and I tried to day hike up there one time but a wrong turn ended up taking us to Grouse Lake, which was pretty awesome too. I need to try this one again. Thanks for the trip report.