Help Me Finish This SEKI Through Hike--HST in Reverse?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
powderhound
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Help Me Finish This SEKI Through Hike--HST in Reverse?

Post by powderhound »

In a couple weeks I'll be starting at Courtwright Reservoir, hiking over Hell for Sure Pass, meeting up with the JMT, and either finishing at Whitney Portal (is this still an option without a JMT or HST permit?), Crescent Meadow, or Road's End. If I do Crescent Meadow, I'll be hiking the HST from east to west. If I do Road's End, I'll be doing the bottom half of the Big SEKI loop, and either going over Colby or Elizabeth Pass. Right now I'm hearing pretty discouraging stuff from rangers, like the Kern river being so swollen the HST is under a foot of water, and Whitney being under snow from Guitar Lake on up.

Considering conditions, scenery, and other factors, is there any reason to pick one of these routes over the other? Anyone have any suggestions?

edit: I suppose I could do the whole thing northbound too, but I figured it would feel more congested that way.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Help Me Finish This SEKI Through Hike--HST in Reverse?

Post by AlmostThere »

When you fill out the form for Sierra NF it will require you to ask for an exit Whitney permit and require the extra fifteen bucks for the privilege, however, that exit permit won't be subject to the quota you'd be on if you started in the Whitney Zone.

You'll likely run into snow on passes and on Whitney, not really getting around that, and there'll be more mosquitoes than blades of grass. And the trails will be lots of wading. Post Corral will be an interesting crossing, as will the ones after the crossing into Kings Canyon. Evolution was either neck deep or waist deep, depending on whether you crossed at the trail crossing or took the time to go up the meadow. Hopefully for your sake the miles of suncups in Evolution Basin are melted out and not continually plunging you through snow bridges into snowmelt. You're hearing discouraging stuff because the rangers know what's out there -- I ran into a ranger on the JMT who was experiencing it firsthand. Until the rest of the snow melts, the water will be high, streams and rivers swollen, and there's no guarantee what you'll find -- down at Roads End, more than twenty hikers were stranded on the other side of Bubbs Creek trying to get out to the parking lot because the creek was so high. Doesn't sound promising, no. Here's the skinny on that crossing as of today from the park website conditions page.
7/14 - 2 miles out from Roads End, Bubbs Creek is being diverted over the trail in between the Bailey and Bubbs Creek bridges- 15 feet in width with strong, white water and no viable log crossings. This water is between 2 to 4 feet deep.

There's probably plenty of reasons to postpone a month or so, if anyone other than the thrus were getting out there to report back what those reasons are, I might have a specific list. If I were planning a trip like that I'd just simplify my life and save the long wander for September when I was absolutely certain everything was crossable.

On the up side -- it's probably not congested at all right now.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Gary,
In a couple weeks I'll be starting at Courtwright Reservoir, hiking over Hell for Sure Pass, meeting up with the JMT, and either finishing at Whitney Portal (is this still an option without a JMT or HST permit?)
Yes, all you need is a permit, with Whitney being your exit point, and you will be fine.

Inyo NF:
Trail Crest is approximatly 13,600 ft. in elevation and 2 miles from the summit of Mt. Whitney, where the Mt. Whitney Trail crosses the crest of the Sierra Nevada to join the John Muir Trail in Sequoia National Park.

Trail Crest exit quota applies to visitors who descend the Mt. Whitney trail to Whitney Portal Road. This quota does not apply to Mt. Whitney Day Use permits or overnight permits that started on the Mt. Whitney Trail. Hikers that begin their trip in another park or forest are exempt from this exit quota, the permit issued by your entry location is valid.

When requesting a permit or reservation, indicate you will end your trip by "Exiting via Mt. Whitney (Trail Crest Exit)”.

-A permit that includes Exiting Mt. Whitney allows you the option to hike to the summit and camp along the Mt. Whitney trail as you finish your trip.
- An exit quota will apply to the date you finish at Whitney Portal.
- Reserve the entry trail and exit quota all in one reservation.
- The exit quota applies for passing through the area whether or not you summit.
- You cannot use a day pass for an exit permit.
- Trail Crest Exit Quota is 25 people per day. 15 spaces can be reserved, 10 spaces are saved to issue with walk in permits.
- All Mt. Whitney visitors are expected to pack-out their solid human waste. Pack-out kits are distributed with wilderness permits.
- Special approval is required for commercial use.
- Stock is not allowed Trail Crest to Whitney Portal.

If you will visit the Mt. Whitney Zone as part of your trip, but are not exiting via the Mt Whitney trail to Whitney Portal, look for a permit type with “Visiting Mt. Whitney”.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsin ... il%20Crest

But, before recommending one trail variation over the other, how many days is your trip?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
powderhound
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by powderhound »

I'm looking at 10-11 days max (that's about how much food I can carry), but I can make it shorter. I'm comfortable with 17 miles/day, but I was giving myself 15 to play it safe (seeing as I might be hiking through rivers). Unfortunately, the latest I can start my hike is July 30 or 31. My schedule won't let me go any later.