Piute pass lollipop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c0ryh
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Piute pass lollipop

Post by c0ryh »

Hi,

I have a trip planned for Piute Pass in mid September. I posted a topic a while back about fishing in Humphrey's Basin and received a ton of great feedback. Luckily I was able to come up with a week off from work to make the trip a bit longer than expected. Based off all of the recommendations from the last post, I came up with a route on caltopo. Below is the link to the route. I just have a few questions if someone can help me out. The major one is the pine creek trail looks like it dead ends slightly west of Alsace lake. I drew a line connecting it to Piute trail so I can work my way back to North lake. Has anyone completed this little section? It looks fairly easy going assuming I'm able to cross the creek.

My other question is the route I made between Pine creek trail up to Royce lakes. It looks like the easiest way to head up. I looked it up on Satellite view and I didn't see anything troublesome. Has anyone traveled this way before?

Any and all suggestions or advice is welcome. I will be solo and want to make sure everything is buttoned up before I head out.

Here is the link to the map
https://caltopo.com/m/H5ND

Thank you,
Cory Hudson
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Piute pass lollipop

Post by maverick »

Hi Cory,
The major one is the pine creek trail looks like it dead ends slightly west of Alsace lake. I drew a line connecting it to Piute trail so I can work my way back to North lake. Has anyone completed this little section?
Pine Creek Pass Trail, connects with the French Canyon Trail, which then with the Piute Trail. There is a 1.5 trail that leads up to L Lakes, but that's it. Creek crossings will not be an issue for your Sept trip.
My other question is the route I made between Pine creek trail up to Royce lakes. It looks like the easiest way to head up. I looked it up on Satellite view and I didn't see anything troublesome. Has anyone traveled this way before?
Yes, it is an easy route accessing the Royce Lakes area.

The route indicated over Puppet (Carol) Col is a little to far to the west: HST Map
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... pet#p55461
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c0ryh
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Piute pass lollipop

Post by c0ryh »

Thanks for the link, Maverick.