Finalizing TM to HI route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
waninggibbous
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Finalizing TM to HI route

Post by waninggibbous »

Hi, hoping to get some last minute guidance on our trip planned out of TM next Tuesday 7/18. There are 4 of us - myself (43), husband (55), daughter (20), son 16. All in good physical condition, lots of hiking, some backpacking, never in the Sierra.

Tentative plan:
7/18 - TM to Cathedral Lakes. Camp at one of the lakes. I planned for this short day because we are unable to acclimate at TM due to the BP Camp closure. Also, I am hearing trail conditions are still challenging.

7/19 - Cathedral Lakes to Sunrise Lakes - lunch break - then on towards Cloud's Rest. Camp somewhere near the stream halfway down the trail, or nearer to the base of CR.

7/20 - up and over CR down to LYV - Camp there or hopefully nearby with less crowds.

7/21 - Down the JMT and out HI - Or via Mist Trail depending on knees, etc.

I am still hearing reports of very difficult trail through Cathedral pass due to the snow. I have basic map and compass skills, taking several good topo maps, and have 3 different GPS apps loaded into my phone. I am prepared for wet feet and mosquitoes. Being desert dwellers, we are very used to high temps (90 will feel like a beautiful spring day to us). But being desert dwellers, we are not used to snow travel. We snow ski and I have done one very icy and snowy trek up our highest peak (12K) here in AZ.

Getting mixed answers on whether or not we should bring microspikes. I would rent them instead of buying.

With our permit, we can stay in the Valley BP campground, but how is there a chance it could be full? We arrive on Monday. We are staying there when we arrive, then driving up to TM since no hiker's bus and YARTS only at 5pm. One or two of us will take YARTS or Hitch back to TM at the end of the hike to retrieve the truck. That will be on a Friday. I'm worried about finding parking in the Valley on a Friday...

Any and all suggestions, critiques, and warnings are much appreciated!!!
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Finalizing TM to HI route

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Since you're coming from AZ, why not drive up east of the Sierra and stay at either June Lake or Mammoth Lakes instead (either one of the camps or motels)? That way you can sleep the night before at ~8,000 feet and get some useful acclimation in. Then after you hike down to HI, you can catch YARTS back to TM. You'll have most of that day for hiking and sightseeing and no worries about parking.

Backpacker camps do not get 'full'. Folks just share the sites and keep filling in. It can get pretty crowded, bring earplugs if you do that.

I'd not camp at LYV on the way down. I'd camp instead at the JMT/Half Dome trail junction. Still will be lots of neighbors, but less crowded than LYV.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

You have a good route planned. Whether or not to bring microspikes is up to you... if there is icy patches or snow on CR you may be thankful for them, the vertical face on a narrow ridge is more exposure than a lot of people are comfortable with.

"Nearby" LYV means going 2 miles away from it, if you don't intend to camp in the designated area. There are signs on the trails informing you when you cross the line into the "no dispersed camping" zone.

You can't have campfires at either Cathedral Lake, btw.
waninggibbous
Topix Novice

Post by waninggibbous »

Thank you both! Dave, I like the Mammoth Lakes idea to acclimate. We will actually be coming from San Diego visiting my mother, so I also like the idea that we can bypass L.A. It may even work better to leave the truck in Mammoth and take YARTS back and forth. We would also avoid having to stay in the noisy BP Camp. I will check on timing and logistics.
I may rent those spikes, just to be on the safe side. I did a practice hike this spring on our big 12K mountain in Flagstaff and the trail was a mess. Snow, ice, fallen trees and steep icy slopes with non-existent trail. My companions had spikes and I had a hard time keeping up with them in my regular hiking shoes. It was one of the most physically challenging things I've ever done, kicking very careful steps, using my poles as extra legs and balance. I'd do it again as I like those challenges, but not sure I want to cringe as I watch my loved ones attempt it with no extra traction.
One last concern; climbing up and over CR with full packs. Any way to avoid this? I am a bit of an acrophobe in exposed situations but intend to suck it up for the chance to get those views I've heard so much about. However, acrophobe + pack throwing off balance and possible ice and snow...not so sure.
waninggibbous
Topix Novice

Post by waninggibbous »

OH, and we won't be having any campfires anywhere. I have seen too much devastation of our beautiful forests caused by a simple campfire. Not worth it.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

waninggibbous wrote: One last concern; climbing up and over CR with full packs. Any way to avoid this? I am a bit of an acrophobe in exposed situations but intend to suck it up for the chance to get those views I've heard so much about. However, acrophobe + pack throwing off balance and possible ice and snow...not so sure.
You could drop the pack, go up for views, come back then take the trail around the peak.
cr.tiff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
waninggibbous
Topix Novice

Post by waninggibbous »

Thanks Almost There, sounds like a simple enough solution! I sincerely appreciate all the help I've received from this forum and others that I've seen you guys on as well. I will be sure to post a TR when we return.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

There is a stock trail that bypasses the top of CR about 300 or 400 feet elevation below the summit. It can be seen on the Tenaya Lake quad map and also on the Tom Harrison Yosemite High Country map.