Suggestions for 4 day/3 night trip, please!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Happydsn
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Suggestions for 4 day/3 night trip, please!

Post by Happydsn »

We are okay with an out and back -- can always try to divert to a lake we haven't been to to vary up the campsite. Our original plan out of Pine Creek wasn't really a loop, more like a Y.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Happydsn wrote:...Do you guys think I can make a 4 day/3 night trip out of Lillian or Graveyard Lakes trails as you suggested? I am hoping to get in pretty long-ish days, 40-50 miles overall.

Thank you guys so much for these great suggestions!
Dana

Am guessing by "make" you mean obtain a wilderness permit? Sierra National Forest same day walk up permits are generally much more probable than those for Inyo NF because they are not yet on recreation.gov that tends to reserve out quotas versus any NF still using mail ins. As Almost There related if you are intent on spending all your day carrying a pack as is the mindset of not a few, you could go over Goodale Pass and then loop around south across Silver Pass.

However a more interesting strategy is to not spend your time hiking all day and rather once reaching the timberline lake areas atop Silver Divide, semi base camp. Thus after a night at Graveyard either stay there all 3 nights, moving each day to a different lake, or on day 2 continue on the short hike over Goodale Pass and say camp at Chief Lake and again day hike during the afternoon, then on day 3 hike the short distance back south across Silver Pass, then camp at Silver Lake. On day 4 would hike all the way back to catch the Edison ferry. That way you would not be spending all your time on a trail lugging your backpack and instead spend time getting to know the best areas along your route.

David
Happydsn
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Happydsn »

David,

Thanks so much for the suggestion! That sounds great to me!!

Really appreciate all your guys' help -- can't wait! I'll report back in early August :)
Dana